Chapter 17

A part of me was hoping it was some twisted nightmare I was having. But I realized it wasn't when I woke up parched and famished the next day. I hardly got any sleep on that hard ground. I had a rough childhood but sleeping on the ground like a hobo was just the world slapping me in the face. I did not even have money to go back home. I had an idea to sell the Gucci bag that Hope bought for me. The money would be enough to get me a plane ticket to home. Maybe coming to South Africa was a mistake. I had managed to get involved in drama instead of achieving my initial goal.

As I was getting up, a man wearing a dirty hoodie approached me. You could see that he was checking me out. I guess my short dress was not helping the situation.

"Hey hottie." He bit his lip and eyed me like I was a meal. I felt uneasy as he continued to take steps towards me. My heart palpitated and my breath shortened. I hoped it was not another panic attack. I could not afford to have one right then.

The man cornered me.

"Please leave me alone." I pleaded.

"I'll make it quick if you behave." I hated those sickos that preyed on women and objectified them. Before that moment, I did not think my life could get any worse.

When I tried to resist, he slapped me and pushed me, and I fell. Fortunately, as he was about to come at me again, a car stopped in front of us, and a man came out and started punching him. He strangled him against the ground and punched him until he spewed blood. There was blood coming out of his mouth and nose and the man was not stopping. I was horrified and I kept whining and asking him to stop.

"Stop! You're going to kill him. Please." I sobbed.

"The bastard deserves it for forcing himself on you." That's when I recognised the voice.

See, before, everything was fuzzy and blurred that I did not see my saviour. But that voice, I would recognize that voice anywhere. It sounded a bit different because it was laced with anger, but I knew it so well. I remembered it from my dreams too. It had to be fate. There was no way this man happened to always show up whenever I was in trouble. His timing was impeccable. I would probably be dead or injured if he did not show up. I was so relieved for his timing that I instantly forgot that he was a factor contributing to me getting kicked out.

He finally left the that disgusting man unconscious and covered in blood. He kicked him one last time then unlocked his car. It must have been new because I had not seen it before.

"Get in the car!" He demanded as he wiped the blood off his knuckles. I hated him but I must mention, his aggressiveness as he commanded me was kind of hot.

"I am not going anywhere with you."

"I will not tell you again. Get in the fucking car!" I did as I was told. He made me weak, I did not debate with him any further. I should be ashamed at how weak I was whenever that man was concerned.

The car ride was silent. I did not ask any questions and neither did he talk to me. The car stopped at McDonald's. He locked me in the car and came back with a doggy bag. He took out a burger and fries for himself then gave me the paper bag. Inside was a Mc Feast meal. That was my favourite burger, still is. I mentioned it once to Hope. Abdul was around but I did not think he was listening.

"Oh shoot! I'll be back." I was not even focusing on him, I was stunned. How did he know? It was probably a coincidence, right? Or so I thought, until he came back with iced coffee. My heart was melting at the idea of Abdul paying attention to the things I liked. I have never mentioned this to you Laura, but I'd choose iced coffee over any drink, at any time of day, however the weather. And discovering that Abdul knew that? My heart was literally fluttering. How do you stay mad at a person that did such things? That paid attention to detail. My cheeks were on fire as I took in what was happening.