Chapter 1: Tradition

Long before time had a name, the First Spinjitzu Master created Ninjago

Long before time had a name, the First Spinjitzu Master created Ninjago. He fought Overlords and Stone Armies, creating history in his wake. Right when he finally thought he could have peace, the Oni returned from his original realm to convince him to fight for them. To return to the war that he was wise enough not to fight. The Oni were demons with powers beyond understanding. There were only five of them, but the First Spinjitzu Master knew he could not fight them all off alone. Thus, he created the Elemental Masters to serve at his side and protect his realm from chaos.

When the Oni had been dealt with and the realm returned to peace, as a reward for their help, the Elemental Masters were allowed to keep their powers. They would pass them on to their descendants, training heirs in case the First Spinjitzu Master ever needed their aid again. Over time people came to respect the elemental power, and out of the ashes of roaming nomads rose the Elemental Houses. Society began to flourish under the elemental leaders, and the new generations were always preparing, ready to assist if called upon.

I wish that were how the story ended. It always seemed like a well whetted cycle of goodness and harmony, of people working together to secure the good of the realm. But when you dove into the statistics of it, I didn't think anyone was happy at all.

I wasn't happy, that was for sure.

I was currently weaving my way through big dresses and even bigger tables laced with hors d'oeuvres and oversized bowls of obnoxiously sweet juice. Loud women attempted to whisper gossip behind their fans, while men were either jumping over each other to get to the snack tables, or quietly trying to sink into the ornate walls that hosted many ornate portraits.

I was on my way to bother Ray—or, Master Fire, as I was supposed to call him in public—but the minute I caught sight of his bright red waistcoat, I noticed an equally bright blue dress standing beside it. Mistress Maya Water of House Water stood beside my friend, blushing beneath layers of luscious dark curls. Ray had had a crush on her for the longest time, and there was no way I was going to interrupt their flirting. For one, it was disgusting to watch, and two, best friends don't interrupt flirtatious endeavors.

So, I frowned, stole a few cookies from the nearest table, and slid my way through the ever-thickening crowd of nobles.

My family was hosting a party, one the biggest parties they'd ever thrown. Since House Lightning was second only to House Shadow in size and wealth, my parents were reasonably affluent and had gone all out with the party. I was pretty sure every single person in House Lighting and House Shadow were in the ballroom. I also saw the forest green colors of House Nature mixed in with the blacks and blues of Houses Shadow and Lightning, along with the reds of House Fire, the ceruleans of House Water, the greys of House Smoke, and even the deep scarlets of House Gravity. It was like my parents had gathered every single member of nobility they could find.