VIII

"Happy birthday, Kiara and Kacey! Happy birthday to you," the six adults sing in unison as the little girls grin sheepishly.

Everyone erupts into cheers and a round of applause when the song is finished. Kiara joins in the clapping, but Kacey hides her face behind her little hands.

Enzo and Leigh's living room is decorated with blue, with paper snowflakes all over.

I heard they fought long and hard to get the girls to agree that they could both be Elsa.

People really don't give Anna enough credit. I chuckle internally.

"You have a beautiful little family, Kayleigh. I'm hoping we didn't help in your lobola [bride price] negotiations for nothing. I hope Enzokuhle does the right thing soon," my mother states slowly, raising her eyebrows knowing at Leigh.

All she does is smile sheepishly and avoid eye contact as much as she can.

My mother chuckles and I join in, which is a bad decision because she suddenly attacks me.

"Nawe, wentombazanyana. Wazi kahle ukuthi lento yenu ninoJayden yokukipita angiyifuni neze [You too, girlie. You know very well that I don't like this cohabiting thing of you and Jayden at all]. Either you finally tie the knot, or you're coming back to live with me and your father in Sandton... Before you have permanent responsibilities," she hisses suddenly.

"Yebo, ma [yes, mother]," I grumble as my cheeks heat up with embarrassment.

She scan me, almost scrutinizing my features, and finally smiling at Leigh who is stifling her laughter.

She waltzes towards Enzo's lively grandmother and they chat for a bit.

"That was... intense," Leigh chuckles as she wraps an arm around my shoulders.

My eyes do a cheeky cartwheel in my sockets, my hand shoos hers off my shoulder and I click my tongue at her.

"Akanayo itiming mxm [She doesn't have great timing (click!)], her and my dad aren't even married," I grumble folding my arms.

"She's just looking out for you. For both of us in fact. Because as much as Enzo and I are traditionally wed, it means nothing without a marriage certificate. In your case, I guess she wants you to save some stuff for marriage and not give away too much too soon. Even though I'm sure she knows you are having sex. Which she doesn't have much power to stop," she chuckles as she pinches my cheek.

"She sure does now. Ngimutshelile ngokmitha kwami [I told her about my pregnancy]," I exhale loudly as I fold my arms.

"That's probably why she's being so strict now. Maybe she just wants to avoid potential, future heartache," Leigh mutters as she watches Sindi and Jacqueline playing with the twins.

"Yea, I guess you're right," I mumble slowly.

We stand there in comfortable silence for a little while, until Kacey starts shrieking as Kiara pinches her arms.

"Kodwa nkos yami yini manje [Oh my lord, what now]," she grumbles as she quickly goes to the girls, to break up their little tiff.

Jayden has kept a safe distance between us throughout the entire party. Only coming closer to sit with me in silence. Probably to show the outside world a united front.

My heart pangs knowing when tomorrow comes, I'll be off to Pemba for an undefined amount of time, leaving Jayden behind to give us space.

I'll tell him tonight, so I don't regret leaving without saying goodbye.