XI

Western Cape has such gorgeous, tropical island looking beaches.

The clean blue waters, and the refreshing breeze blowing on your face is to die for.

I lay on a towel in Jayden's arms, watching the beach.

The sky is overcast, but it's still quite warm.
With rays of sunshine peaking through every now and again.

"It's probably going to rain later on tonight," I murmur, mostly to myself.

Jayden takes in a deep breath, and pulls me closer, caressing my buttcheek softly in the process.

"Probably," he whispers as he pecks my forehead lovingly.

We don't get to go on holiday as much as I would like to, but I can't exactly complain too much. I guess I'm just glad I still get him back in one piece.

The last few years have seen many of our men passing during battle.

I haven't personally known of anyone passing but it still makes me sad to think about it.

They're probably just men wanting to make a living and support their families. I've never been one to judge, especially not in this economy, and now I definitely cant judge because I'm a part of all that is wrong.

"What are you thinking about," Jayden soothes as he places his hands gingerly on my waist.

"I'm just thinking about all the fucked up work we have to do to make a living," I mutter lightheartedly.

He frowns immediately, and gives me both a confused and concerned look. Almost as if he doesn't know what I'm talking about.

"There's nothing fucked up about being a filmmaker, honey. And I'm pretty sure Science still has a positive light too," he chuckles with a frown still present on his face.

Yea he's right.
I went on to pursue a filmmaking career after obtaining my degree and he's been working as a scientist since he obtained his master's all those years ago.

Why would I even think that we're doing illegal stuff.

I stiffen as I try to understand why I thought that, and which faceless, nameless men these are, that cause such an ache in my heart.

Jayden feels me tensing in his hold, and his gentle arms caress my back as we sit quietly, beginning to enjoy the view of the beach.

The memory fading away.

Whatever that memory was..

We look pretty much the same, but I know we're older.

Kiara and Kacey look to be about 6 or 7 now, and they run about in the sand, while Kayleigh and Enzo cuddle under an umbrella they set up.

"Just look at her," Jayden chuckles fondly as he looks at something in the distance.

I look out, and notice a little girl with big curly hair running towards us with a smile.

Powers is not even close behind her like he used to be. He used to be on her heels. Still he chases her, chuckling like a child.