XIV

"You will burn in hell, traitor," Leigh whines over the phone.

"Hawu! Angithi ngiyasho nje, ukuthi [Goodness! But I'm saying that] it was a spur of the moment thing. This girl and guy that work for my grandparents invited me. Then they practically made love in front of me before we could even start," I cackle loudly.

"Wehh nkosi yami! Isono! Wabuka nawe, ngoba vele kade wawugcina ucansi [Geez, my lord! You poor thing! You then watched because you haven't had some in a long time]!" It's definitely a dig, but I don't mind. Hearing her lively voice is so refreshing. I've only been gone for a short while, but I know literally no one on a deeper level here, and it's kind of scary.

"Cha ukuphapha [No you're being forward]. Not literally, but yea, I miss... It... I miss him," I mutter sheepishly as a giggle escapes me.

"I know you do! But jokes aside, you look good, babe. Tats and all of those things have always looked amazing on you," she beams.

"I'm just a bit concerned, I guess,"

"Of what?"

"Of becoming exactly like his ex."

"Edakwa [You're drunk(crazy)]! Why the hell would you think you'd become like her?!" It is disgust and poisonous rage on her tongue.

"Dude, I snorted some cocaine yesterday. On top of two blunts. If I don't watch my back and get too comfortable, I might spiral. Who knows how easily I get addicted," I mutter with shame, barely above a whisper.

"You're better than that Nandipha. I know you wouldn't do that do Jayden, to your parents, to your loved ones, and most importantly, I know you wouldn't do that to yourself. You have so much in store for you, so don't you dare compare yourself to her! She made her choices in life, and now it is up to you to choose whether or not you want to follow the same path. And I know you don't," she huffs.

"Yea, I guess you're right. I just don't want one night of stupid fun to ruin my life," I whimper slightly, containing my tears immediately after.

"Do the grandparents know about this," she inquires gently.

"Of course not," I chuckle humourlessly.

"Okaayy. Kodwa tshela mina ke. uMagriza ukphethe kanjani? Uphethwe sexy [But tell me though. How is grandma treating you? Are you being treated nicely]?" I can see her face right now. Her lips tugging downwards in concern, and her brows pinched together, causing delicate curvey lines to morph between them.

"Kuright phela kona [It's alright, I guess]. I just spend most of my time split between Theo and Bab'Zondi," I murmur as I unpack the clothes and lingerie I got, on Theo and I's shopping spree. That she paid for. Kane was our personal butler for the day.

"Awumzwile yini ugogozi [Are you not feeling grandma]?"

"Hayi ukuthi angimzwile oe. Ukuthi eskhaleni wamane wangibuza ukuthi ngisayitshitshi yini. Ekuseni oe, angakavuki namaqhude [It's not that I'm not feeling her dude. It's just that out of the blue, she asked if I was still a virgin. In the morning, even before the roosters woke up]. That is kind of raising red flags for me, considering Theo has been encouraging me to work with them at the club," I exhale slowly, falling back to meet the soft bed against my back.

"And what did you say? Did you tell her about isoka, umnumzane uvan Tonder [the lover, Mister van Tonder]?"

"No... I just kinda avoided the question. Anyway speaking of My Mnr. Liefie [My Mr. Lovey], I'm thinking of coming back in two days. I want to get back before he gets back and reads the letter I left. Hopefully we will be able to talk it out and then fuck it out. This dry spell seriously isn't sexy anymore." I know that attempt of a joke was poor, but the excruciatingly phony chuckle Leigh gives me is almost offensive.
"Khuluma ntombi. Ufihleni [Speak girl. What are you hiding]?"