Chapter 9- Ethel Hallow's revenge

"Mildred?" The shocked and disgusted voice echoed throughout the hallways of Cackles.
"Hello, Ethel." Mildred greeted the familiar face. She had expected the displeasure from Ethel, now that her rival was back, but she hasn't expected it so suddenly.
"Millie, is that you?" This time the voice was kind. Maud and Enid enthusiastically ran towards Mildred, wrapping their arms around her.
"Oh, Mil, so much has happened, you wouldn't believe, starting with Miss Pentangle and Miss Hardbroom..." Enid started to explain, but stopped as she saw the worrying face Mildred was making. "What is it?"
"My mum isn't back." Mildred sighed.
Maud and Enid simply continued hugging Mildred as she sniffed back tears. She didn't want to cry anymore about the dreadful reality of things. She had known there wasn't a high chance of her mother coming back, or of anyone saving her- but she'd still hoped. She had forgotten her hopes as a stone but the minute she was living again, she felt the same spark of hope she'd felt before. A certain longing. Maybe this can still be fixed. Maybe all hope isn't lost.
"So, how are you back, Mildred Hubble?" Ethel snapped, placing her hands firmly on her hips. Maud and Enid glared at her, which only seemed to provoke Ethel further.
"Miss Hardbroom and Miss Pentangle found a spell, I guess." Mildred shrugged. She knew Ethel was trying to irritate her, but it was hard to be hurt by her harsh comments when she'd already been hurt ten times worse.
"I don't think I'd ever seen Miss Hardbroom so worried," Maud exclaimed. "She forbid me and Enid from going to visit you, but she did and-"
"Where is Indigo?" Mildred interrupted, not interested in hearing anything to do with that woman. That cold, heartless woman. Mildred had some idea of what Indigo might be like, but a weathered and worn down stone was not the best look at somebody.
"So... you know about her then?" Maud hung her head. She had been hoping Mildred wouldn't know. It would only make her more upset about her mum.
"Yes, Maud. When the stone beside me vanishes, I notice." Mildred instantly regretted the tone she used with her friend. Maud didn't cause this. She reminded herself, muttering out a quick apology.
"I think she headed for the library." Maud suggested. "She was just sitting in class with us while Miss Hardbroom and Miss Pentangle went to you. She's really rather nice, Millie."
Mildred rolled her eyes. It didn't matter how nice Indigo was. Mildred wasn't sure what her plan was but knew that she needed to talk to Indigo. She figured some part of her just needed to see her alive after all those years. Maybe it would happen for her mum. Thirty years would be better than nothing at all, wouldn't it? Perhaps she could find a way to do it sooner. Or maybe, just maybe she could get Miss Pentangle and her modern magic and figure something out.
"Well? What are you going to do, Mildred?" Ethel piped up. Enid shot her a warning look, which Ethel ignored.
"None of your business, Ethel," Mildred huffed, sticking her nose in the air. Ethel, of course, considered everything to be her business, especially when it appeared that her nemesis returned. Fearful that she'd be overlooked, Ethel's mind was already conjuring up a brilliant but deviant plan to put Mildred back in her place. Ethel didn't know much of Indigo but had seen her roaming the halls. She'd pieced together that Indigo had something to do with Hardbroom and Pentangle, something the deputy head had been desperate to keep hidden.
"Maybe you should stop off and see Cackle first," Maud suggested, trying to buy Indigo some time before she was confronted by a hot tempered Mildred.
"Why?" Mildred scoffed. "I have no intentions of staying, Maud, not anymore."
"But where will you go, Mil?" Enid asked desperately.
"I'd imagine I'll go where non-magical children without families go. Foster care, until I'm eighteen."
It was rough seeing Mildred like this. Throughout her life, she'd always just been happy by nature.
"Mil, come on, you're just upset. You're not thinking straight." Enid pleaded, trying to talk some sense into her friend.
"Ha! When is Mildred Hubble ever thinking clearly?" Ethel jibed.
"Oh, shut it, Ethel," Maud insisted. "If you really want to see Indigo, Millie, we'll take you."
Mildred nodded curtly, walking behind her friends as they began walking up to Maud's room. Mildred seemed timid as she walked through the corridors. It had been long since she had been walking the very same corridors as a student, but they felt strange and new. Perhaps it was because all eyes were on her as she slipped past, but nobody dared to say anything. Mildred's face was frozen in a scowl she dared not break, for a friendly face would be the quickest way to welcome in conversation. Mildred just had to see Indigo... then leave.