one

"where's el?" mike's slurred words left his lips in a whine as he rested his head against the wall for support.

even while being tipsy himself, dustin furrowed his eyebrows at mike's drunken state. "she's with max at a birthday party, you know that."

mike almost whined again, taking another swing of his vodka lemon. "why isn't she here? i miss her."

dustin looked at him entirely taken aback. "dude, you only haven't seen her in two hours or something."

a noise of disappointment rose up his throat at the reminder of how long it's been since he last saw his girlfriend — it felt way longer to him than that.

"jesus fuck." lucas creased his eyebrows while shaking his head. "he is so much worse than me."

dustin nodded his head in agreement. "he's literally obsessed with her."

now that was a statement that mike could easily get behind. he just might be slightly obsessed with el hopper.

though that's something that makes their friends shake their heads all over. watching him go from calling her "uptight" and scowling at her whenever they were in the same room to him being sappily in love with her was still a development they needed to get used to.

even after months of them officially dating.

nights like these used to be common in their friend group long before mike and el started being in a relationship — nights of the girls hanging out together while the guys either played video games or went to small parties.

this time, max and el were at the birthday party of a mutual friend of theirs and the guys decided to attend to a frat party they've been invited to (hey, can't blame them for taking up the opportunity on free drinks)

will, being the party-hater that he is, declined and said he'd much rather spend his friday night watching a movie in his dorm than being stuck between sweaty and loud people he doesn't even know.

it left dustin, mike and lucas to go there together — it's been months since they went to a party which is probably exactly why they're so... surprised at mike's reaction.

they've never seen him like this before.

with an unsure expression, dustin leaned closer towards lucas. "should we call el or something?"

"what?" lucas asked in bewilderment. "no, dude, no way. interrupting their girls night is as equal as having a death wish, i know for sure that max would be kicking my ass if i did."

dustin's eyes strayed back on mike, shaking his head to himself when he saw him still sipping on his drink. "what should we do then?"

lucas sighed, snatching the drink out of mike's hands and earning a frustrated groan coming from his side. "we do nothing but try to keep this dumbass away from more drinks."

dustin quickly nodded his head. "agreed."

**

the birthday party of her new friend was fun. they met while el was sitting in the cafe to work on an assignment for her class and since the place was full, the girl — kali — approached her and asked if she could sit by her table.

el gladly accepted and the two of them got caught up in a conversation which lead them to exchanging numbers and in occasionally meeting up; she introduced max to her as well.

so, yeah, the birthday party was surely fun. they sang karaoke, danced and shared long rounds of laughter.

but nothing was quite as amusing as mike's drunk texts. his usual (and very boring, might she add) texting style was replaced with a series of typos she couldn't take serious.