Writers Block

I was anxiously waiting; fidgeting in my chair. 9 year old me couldn't wait to hear what the teachers exciting announcement was. She was my favorite teacher and role model. Her name is Mrs. Sullivan and she was 60 at the time but she looked like she could pass for 20. She was tall; about 5'6". She was very skinny and had blonde hair and pretty eyes (I can't recall the color)."Okay, class!" Mrs. Sullivan exclaimed. Everyone went silent waiting for Mrs.Sullivan to continue. "We will be starting Writer's Block," Mrs. Sullivan said excitedly. Most of the class never of that before; we only saw a sign with the words Writer's Block on it in the corner where the bean bag chairs, pillows and the comfy rug was. "Writer's Block is when you sit on the floor and write any type of story," Mrs. Sullivan explained excitement and joy clear in her eyes. All the boys raised their hands quickly. "Nothing inappropriate," Mrs. Sullivan said with finality in her voice. Almost every single person started pouting and asking Mrs. Sullivan what the definition of inappropriate was. She would just reply back with a tired sigh and say "If you have to ask me it is,".After grabbing my notebook and my number 2 Tondra pencil I rushed toward the bean bag chairs. Since this was a fairly big class and the Writer's Block corner was fairly samll it was  first come first serve and I sat at the other side of the classroom. I wasn't surprised when I saw that all the beanbag chairs were taken. They were very popular. I had to sit on the ground. I looked around the room for a place to sit. All of my friends that were girls were either sitting by someone that I didn't like or There wasn't any space next to them. I saw my best friend Sylvester Wiggins and sat next to him and started writing quietly.It was eerily quiet as frustration rolled off me in waves the size of a tsunami. I couldn't figure out what to write about. I tried everything. I thought about it until my brain started wondering to lunch. I asked  the people around me for help until I ran out of people to talk to. I was running out of time. The Writer's Block only lasts for what felt like an hour and it felt like I already wasted 30 minutes of it. Running out of options I rose my hand up waiting for Mrs. Sullivan to come over and help me. Mrs. Sullivan came over noticing my face turned up into a tight frown and my eyes watering from frustration she asked me what's wrong. I dismissed her question immediately with the typical response of 'nothing'. "Mrs. Sullivan I need help I can't figure out what to write about," I said as I resisted the urge to pull all my hair out of frustration. "Honey, you have to write whatever comes to your mind and don't think about it. Don't worry about spelling or anything like that just picture what you want to write about and write it," Mrs. Sullivan said. I nodded my head to her and as she was walking away an idea popped up into my head and turned towards my friend Sylvester, "Psst, Sylvester," I called him in what I used to think was a whisper but now I realize i was practically yelling. Sylvester looked at me curiously so I knew it was my cue to  continue. "Can I write about you?". Sylvester looked at me like I was crazy and shook his head violently, "No,". Being the bad girl I am I did it anyway.

The story was called Slfeste (sil-vest-eee). It was about a rich boy named Slfeste and his best friend who ended up being his adopted sister Alexis. They went on adventures and had an arch nemesis named the Twins. I kept writing and writing over the summer until I sent one of my stories to the publishers of Diary of a Wimpy Kid. About a month later i got a letter stating that they weren't taking any children's fictional stories at the moment and they told me to keep writing. I did the exact opposite. I stopped writing and picked up reading until eventually stopping both. Then one day I was sitting alone in my room with nothing to do and decided to write for the first time in about 2 years. While I was writing I remembered Mrs. Sullivan's words of wisdom and remembered why I started writing in the first place.

In conclusion Mrs. Sullivan was one of my best teachers because she inspired me to do something that now I love so deeply. She was always a fun person to be around and very easy to talk to. She taught us other things like knitting and we were a grade level over every subject we were doing. She prepared us for life in middle school and how the teachers would be a little harder but didn't scare us like my other teacher did. She was my favorite person in the world and I truly regret not keeping in touch with her