Chapter Nineteen: Traitors

Pain sliced through Rory's leg as the bullet tore through her skin and fur. She fell over herself, watching helplessly as Jamie rolled off and slammed into a tree. They didn't need this right now.

Rory growled, getting to her feet, despite the hot agony that almost caused her back leg to give out beneath her. She gnashed her teeth at the closest hunter and bounded toward Jamie.

A cold barrel pressed into her head, stopping her from further movement.

"We're not going to let you get away this time, Shadow," one of the hunters growled. "We know you're the one who killed the last hunting party. Your claw marks are unlike any others."

Something was different about this hunter, as if they were talking with both a female and male voice in unison. Rory tried to turn around to confirm her suspicion.

Searing pain ripped through her leg as a loud crack echoed through the woods. Rory cried out, falling into human form. The barrel was placed back to her head. "Don't make any sudden moves or the next hit will be fatal.

Several more footsteps came forward, alongside a wolf Rory recognized. Nil. Beside him were two of the white-coated clan, siblings to the last target she was tasked with eliminating. Three more hunters came out beside them, all training their guns on Rory.

One of the hunter's gasped. "It's the bartender. . .How is she a wolf?" They took a step back, their brain seeming unable to process this information.

"We're everywhere," Nil said, his dark fur blowing in the breeze. "You just have to know where to look." He transformed into his human form, his lips pursed in annoyance. "It's nice to see a Shadow at the end of a gun for once."

"You tried to kill her, you tried to kill my wife," Rory growled. "I'm going to tear you apart!"

Breaking away from the hunter trained on her, she knocked them to the ground and tossed their gun aside, lunging for Nil's throat with claws extended.

Burning agony sliced through her chest as a loud explosion knocked her out of the air and sent her skidding across the ground.

"Rory!" Jamie screamed, running to her side.

Frothy blood fill Rory's mouth as she slammed into a tree.

Nil stepped on the wound in her chest, digging his heel in. "You always think you're better than everyone else."

Rory writhed, coughing as more blood filled her mouth. "I'm better than you, you pathetic." She spit on him. "Traitor."

"Don't you realize? Now that you've done this, you're no better than me. You've betrayed your kind, Shadow." Nil put his weight forward making it hard for Rory to breath. "You will die here, alone, without meaning, just like your wretched mother."

"I warned you that my next shot would be lethal," one of the hunters said, as it became clear they were possessed by Ain. She turned to Jamie, cutting off her pathway to Rory.  "You wife is going to die." She knelt down, gently stroking Rory's face, her smile shining with sadistic delight as she turned back to Jamie. "Without her, there's nothing you can do to stop me."