Chapter Twenty - One: Till Death

Everything was so cold. Rory shivered. Darkness pressed in on all sides. Was it over? truly over?

One of the candles lit and she looked down at the face of the woman she loved. Her sweet, sweet Jamie. "Is it done?" Rory kept herself up on trembling arms, not wanting to let Jamie know how bad everything was. She needed a victory, they both deserved one.

"Yes," Servil said with a cough. "Ain is no longer allowed on this plane of existence."

"See, Jamie? We saved you." Rory smiled and collapsed on top of her. "I told you we would save you."

Jamie screamed.

Darn, there went her plan of not letting Jamie see the knife in her back. At the last moment, Ain had possessed one of the older woman, trying to kill Jamie in an effort to free herself before she was left unable to do anything at all. Rory couldn't let that happen. She had seen it coming in the dark. She had known what it would do to her, but she had to protect her wife. One last time.

Rory could see her brother and mother's spirits perched on the rocks ahead, waiting to welcome her to the final hunt. But she wasn't ready to let go. This wasn't fair. They were supposed to win, they were supposed to live their lives together. Grow old, together.

Angry sounds of battle sounded on the border outside. Wolf versus fae, hunter versus wolf. Everything they had tried to stop, Ain had brought to fruition before they could end her. It was over. They'd failed.

"We need to save you," Jamie choked, holding Rory close to her breast. "We need to get to my cauldron. I can save you." She sobbed. "I can save you."

Servil picked Rory up. Rory yelped, whimpering from the movement of the blade in her back and the pain all over her body. They left the cave through an alternate entrance, knowing that battle was ensuing at the front.

Black fur flashed out of nowhere, tracking their movements.

Rory threw herself forward, coming between her father's barreling wolf and Jamie. It took all the strength she had left in her body to propel herself forward.

Claws tore into her chest as the dagger hit a tree and drove further into her flesh, coming out the other side.

Jamie disappeared from sight, being lead away by Servil. Protected as she should be.

Councilman Talis transformed back into human form, ripping his claws from her failing body. "Rory, why?"

"Because I made a vow," Rory choked, tears streaming down her face as she held up her ringed hand, the life fading from her eyes as the world turned to darkness. Her final words left her lips, harsh and peaceful, full of no regrets. "Till Death."

The End