Chapter Twenty Nine

It had been ten days since the beach get together and the only thing that had changed was my obsessive need to be consumed wholly by Jax like every typical horny teenager I once took pity in. I was officially becoming my worst enemy.

There were only a few weeks left of the school year before summer rolled around and as far as anyone other than Shay, Jax and I knew, I was no closer to a date with Lucas; not counting his beach day offer. I knew eventually I would have to own up to all the secrets I had been keeping, but for now my lips were sealed.

"Hey Ronnie, I need your help with a last minute English exam prep!" Jax's voice filled the relatively quiet corridor as he sauntered towards me in a black T-shirt that hugged all the right places, paired with dark navy jeans and a hoodie that I knew was undeniably comfortable.

I grabbed the remaining book from my locker and closed the metal door behind me, leaving my exhaled breath behind to look up and meet his awaiting presence.

"Have you ever tried revising by yourself?" I joked as I moved my heavy bag higher up my shoulder.

"Why would I do that when I have you to help me?" he grinned and flung his arm around my shoulders to pull me against his side.

"You look beautiful by the way," he whispered into my hair as he snuck a quick kiss to my temple.

I rolled my eyes and pushed him off me, "I'm helping you, there's no need to give me compliments to sweeten the deal."

I strode ahead of him, knowing he would match my pace within seconds and headed in the direction of the tutor room. Just as I neared the door, he grabbed me by the crook of my elbow and brought us to a standstill.

"Hey," he said using the voice of his when he wanted my full attention and knew he didn't have it. He looked around quickly, but with most people in class or on study breaks, the hallway was practically deserted.

"We didn't make any deal where I can't say you're beautiful, is everything ok?" he asked and the soft nature in which he asked me the question, only made me want to elicit everything I was thinking.

Everything isn't ok Jax because we made a stupid deal and now I'm stuck in this vicious cycle with you and all I can think about is kissing you. That was what I wanted to say, what my inner monologue seemed to relentlessly scream at me every time I was in a few inches of him, but I couldn't say that, so instead I said.

"Everything is fine, I'm just feeling a bit rundown. I might just go home and try to get some rest, I'll catch up with you later," I said, bringing a smile to my face to make my lie seem more believable.

"Ronnie, are you ever going to look at me?" He asked and the question caught me off guard as I immediately looked up at his face.

He brushed a loose hair behind my ear and his eyes softened as he scanned my face. "There you are. Now tell me what's going on, really?"

I sighed, "I promise I'll text you later."

Before he could say anything else I ducked out of his reach and scurried pathetically away to my car and floored it out of the car park.

It had been hours since my embarrassing overreaction, but the word 'deal' was beginning to grate on me every time I heard it, especially if the word came from Jax's mouth. I was starting to think that everything started and ended with the word and I didn't know what to believe.

"Hey, are you sure you don't mind me heading to Sadie's house? I can binge watch your favourite show if you'd prefer?" Sabrina said as she stuck her head around my door.

I could see her overnight bag hanging from her shoulder and as kind as her offer was, it wasn't needed. I had played and nearly overused the 'sick card' today to help cover more lies and the last thing I needed was to start interfering with Sabrina's love life. Our parents had gone away for an early weekend retreat and Sabrina had planned to spend the night with her girlfriend, before I came home early from school.