Chapter Thirty Nine

Tonight, was a special kind of torture.

Not only did everyone seem to be in an ecstatically good mood, but they all seemed to be touchy feeling. I wasn't sure if it was the alcohol, the fact we were away from parents, school was over or that everyone seemed in the mood for something.

Normally I would find myself immersing myself in the positive vibes that seemed to be radiating from everyone; even Shay had begun twirling her hair around her finger when Damien was talking. I had been trying to shoot her looks to determine whether she wanted rescuing or not. However, I was beginning to think she was avoiding looking in my direction.

Everyone was having a great time, including Jax, who had decided to throw his arm around to back of my chair. Occasionally his hand would drift and he'd pull a loose strand of my hair, threading it between his fingers for a second and then letting it go.

I couldn't relax, not while he was touching me. And why on earth was he touching me?

The next time his fingers reached for my hair, I moved out of reach, turning to the side to give him a questioning look.

"Sorry, I didn't realise I was... It feels so soft. Did you get new hair products?" he asked seriously.

"You want to talk about my hair products?" I deadpanned.

"What would you rather talk about?" he hit back.

I paused, feeling like he had caught me in a trap.

"It's vanilla and coconut."

His eyes met mine and then he slowly leaned towards me and I froze, unsure of what he was going to do. He grasped a section of my hair between his thumb and forefinger and brought the strands towards his nose, inhaling gently, while his eyes remained on mine.

The strands slipped from his fingers, but he hadn't moved. His eyes tracked down onto my lips, where they stayed for a second too long, before he sat back in his chair.

"I like it."

I spluttered, "What?" Unsure what he was talking about because I was too busy staring at him, remembering the way he had caressed my hair, the way his soft lips felt on my own.

"Your hair products," he reiterated with a smile.

"Oh right, thanks," I muttered, my mind crashing back to the present.

"I'm going to go and get a drink. Do you want one?" he asked, standing up as he said it, causing me to have to crane my neck upwards to answer him.

"Sure, thanks," I replied.

Once he had vanished inside to pour me a drink I breathed a sigh of relief, stood up making my way towards Shay and grabbed her by the arm.