Ch. 4 - The Poison

Authors Note

I want thank all those that voted for me and those who have become fans. I am only doing this to satisfy my fans, and thank you for keeping on with the book/story. I wrote this entire chapter, listening to music by Vast, Max Richter, Me'shell NdegeOcellWilliam Fitzsimmons, Bird York and Goldmund. If this will ever be a film, then I think music by these people will definitely set the mood.

Again, thank you so much for reading. Votes and honest feedback are hugely welcome:)

Violet. H

___________________________________________________________

The Poison

(Inspired by Max Richter, Infra 5)

There were days when Briar often wondered what is it she could be doing, had she not been found by her uncle. A weakling, wounded girl, skin clung to the bone and death in her eyes. Death – not something she was afraid of. There was nothing worth living for, except now of cause; now she had the hunger to live. To experience this phenomenon they call life. Perhaps find happiness from within. And to feel it! She was happy now. But she couldn’t feel it.  Not like normal people.

Happiness?

Mucha has tried happiness, but she failed. Because like Briar, Mucha is a lost soul and she’s aware of her sorrows and her unhappiness. But she does not know how to fix it. The emptiness - how to fill it! Happy is nonexistence in their lives because they strive for everything but love. Anything but those things that will make them weep and feel!

Who could she have been today? She knew she’d been dead, for the war in her country has not ended. Yet she knew something have stayed the same. Death, in her eyes! Nothingness! No life those eyes, no love, nothing. And she was glad. This is the only way to go. In a parallel world somewhere, she did hope that she was living her passion. The hoped that the other Briar knew happiness, knew love and of all things, knew herself.

Yes, she often wondered, but not for long.

“What will happen now?” God knows why she asked, because every inch of her knew what was coming. But of cause one could not comprehend the itch; this new grace that came with overwhelming feelings of achievement. She now felt it. The itch to want more before the cup was empty.

“What is it do you wish to happen now?” Mucha emerged from Briar’s private bathroom, dressed and makeup applied. She stood in front of the mirror but kept her eyes fixed on Briar’s reflection sat on the bed. Mucha began to feel the familiar hammer of her heart and immediately composed herself. She cleared her throat and stared at her own face.

“Move out,” Briar kept her head down. “Leave this house.” She raised her gaze towards Mucha’s back.

Mucha turned away from the mirror to face her niece. “Well, you sure have become bolder with your requests, dear ol’ Briar.” Mucha remarked, with a hint of amusement in her voice.

Briar stood up from her bed and began pacing. She seemed to have picked up a habit that irritated the older woman but Mucha didn’t point it out. Not yet. She wanted to hear what the young girl had to say. “Uncle will want me out when he finds out about me and Leonard Shiri. To avoid any problems I should look for a place of my own.”

“You are not allowed to walk away, Briar.” Mucha watched the younger woman pacing. Their eyes met for a brief moment before Briar moved to her closet, retrieving her bathrobe to replace the sheet wrapped around her body. “Impulsiveness will get you nowhere, dear ol’ Briar.” Mucha tied her hair back into a tight bun whilst watching Briar in the mirror tightening a knot in front of her gown. “You’ll wait until you have settled well with your job, then maybe we could come back to this conversation.”