Chapter Two - The Day Family

I open my eyes to darkness. My lavender bed sheets are soft and warm, quietly calling me back to sleep. I curl up again, hugging my fluffy pillow to my chest as I close my eyes.

There's something important about today...  something that I need to remember... What was it?...

I burrow deeper into my blankets as I get comfortable.

We're going to London today!

My eyes snap open again and I sit up quickly. A hum of excitement runs through me like an electrical current. I reach for the lamp on my bedside table, turning it on as I push the blankets off of me. The lamp casts a warm glow across the whole room, lighting up the multitude of nature posters and dried plants hanging from my walls. I hurry around the room, flipping the switches to turn on the lanterns and string lights wrapped around the short wood beams in the ceiling before pulling my small travel bag from under my bed.

Let's see... the train ride always takes forever... I'll need to pack a few books to keep me occupied... a few sets of clothes...

A low coo breaks the silence of the morning. I turn from the bed toward the wall behind me where Sidra sits on her perch. Her long, flaming, white feathers shine under the warm lamp light, making them appear like they've been dipped in molten gold.

The young Phoenix cocks her head to the side, making the cerulean and gold feathers at the back of her head stick out at an odd angle. Her bright blue eyes meet mine and a familiar warmth spreads through my chest.

"Good morning Sidra." I whisper as I reach for her.

She takes off from her perch, her large wings flapping once before her taloned feet land on my arm. She nuzzles her golden head against my cheek in greeting then hops from my arm to sit on my unmade bed.

She and I bonded the first moment we laid eyes on each other. According to Marco, that's really rare but that's exactly what happened with his own Phoenix, so it doesn't seem all that strange to me. They had been studying the egg in his Care of Magical Creatures class when it hatched. Both birds were curled together within the remains of the egg, only Sidra had gold scales over her eyes.

Sorcha had looked Marco in the eye and a warmth spread through his body like a flame. Apparently, that means that Sorcha had claimed Marco as his and would not allow anyone else to care for him. Or at least that's how Marco had explained it. He brought Sorcha and Sidra home with him for Christmas that year and when I came in the room the scales fell  from Sidra's eyes as she looked at me. That was three years ago.

I smile at the beautiful creature as I caress her warm feathers. "This is a big trip, we're going to London to get my school things. Will you help me pack my things?"

Sidra blinks calmly at me but doesn't move. I take her silence as a yes and hurry over to my closet, contemplating what I will need for the trip.

Once my outfits are picked, I fold my clothes and pack them carefully in my bag along with my toiletries. With the bag packed, I turn my attention to the dress I've laid out for today. It's my navy blue midi with ruffles over the shoulders acting as sleeves. Slipping out of my pjs, I pull the dress quickly over my head before turning to face the mirror on the back of the closet door. I wrinkle my nose at the sight of my hair and grab the comb off my desk.

After more than twenty minutes attempting to tame the mess on my head, I admit defeat. Frustrated, I chuck the comb haphazardly into my bag and tug it roughly over my shoulder. I scan the room, making sure I haven't forgotten anything. My eyes snag on my sky blue book bag hanging from the back of my desk chair.

Right! I need to pack a few books!

I snatch the bag, pulling it across my back and head for the door. Skipping down the hall, I pass my bathroom and take the stairs two at a time as I descend to the rest of the house. Quite as possible, I push open the door at the bottom of the stairs into the library.