Prologue Part 1

Note: This part of the prologue focuses specifically on Ash. The other part will include everyone else's reactions to the devastating loss.

________________________________
"I-I..." Ash couldn't believe it.

"Greninja is unable to battle! The winner is Peyton, who will move on to the round of 32!"

The crowd erupted in cheer as Peyton hugged his Sceptile.

Ash, meanwhile... looked down at the ground. He had lost another league! On top of that, he lost in the first round! Various negative thoughts streamed through Ash's head.

Flashback, about 2 minutes ago

"Greninja... let's do the thing!" Ash exclaimed.

Greninja wasn't activating Battle Bond. No matter what Ash did, no single sign of the Bond Phenomenon appeared.

Damnit! Damnit! Damnit! What do I do?! This is the first round, and I can't afford to lose!

"Please, Greninja! I need it now!" Ash angrily yelled.

Greninja looked back at Ash, while in the background, a massive barrage of leaves could be seen behind him. Greninja used Cut without Ash commanding him, which managed to cut some of the leaves. However, Greninja seemed to be hurt.

"Greninja! Please!"

The crowd was confused as to what was going on.

"What's going on?!" Sawyer asked, "Greninja isn't bonding with Ash!"

"I don't know!" Clemont shared Sawyer's confusion.

Serena and Bonnie held onto each other in concern.

"Ash...." Serena was seemingly very concerned about Ash and Greninja. Her fists were clenched.

"GRENINJA!!"

Greninja threw a Water Shuriken at the Sceptile, who easily dodged it.

"Finish him off with Leaf Blade!"

Greninja was offset, and so was Ash. Greninja attempted to dodge the attack, but Sceptile outsped it easily.

And there went Greninja. Ash lost, only managing to knock out one of his opponent's Pokemon.

Alain watched as the events folded from the competitors' room, sighing that he wouldn't be able to have a final battle with Ash.

Shauna, Tierno, and Trevor watched the battle next to Ash's companions and were shocked at the results.

"I didn't think he'd get knocked out so early!" Tierno remarked.

"What in the world is going on?!" Sawyer was visibly in shock, as he also was looking forward to a final matchup between the two.

Clemont and Bonnie stayed silent. There was no way they should have let Ash battle in his current state.

"Ash......." Serena shed a tear as she looked towards Ash looking down at the ground.

Flashbacks

"Greninja is unable to battle! The Gym Leader, Wulfric, wins the battle!"