Chapter One

Chapter One

          Teal never felt so happy in her life. Yet, at the same time,

never so sad. Her mother finally left her father. Teal was glad about the decision, her father was only home three days a week and that was only for beer and for the chance to yell at his kids and make their lives miserable. 

          When Teal’s mom, Janet, announced to Teal and her three brothers, Paul, Jeff, and Caleb, that her and her husband were getting a divorce, Teal and her siblings packed their bags right away. 

          Now, Teal rode up front in the mini van while Janet drove. The rest of the kids in the back. Nobody talked while they drove to Teal’s grandparents house. Although they hated their father, part of them knew that he was gone. Now, they don’t have a father. They decided to look on the bright side. No more yelling, no more scars, no more nightmares. It was all over.

          The car stopped in the driveway of a little house. Teal recognized it, she had been to her grandparents many times before. Inside, they exchanged hugs and kisses with their grandparents. Then they put their suitcases where they belonged. Janet was going to sleep in the guest room with Caleb, the baby, in his crib. Paul and Jeff would sleep in the room next to that which was very small and only contained a bunk bed and one small dresser for them to share. Teal, being the oldest and always wanting everyone else to be happy, was willing to sleep on the couch. It was small yet comfortable and the perfect size for Teal. 

          After dinner, meatloaf and mashed potatoes, everyone was exhausted and decided to go to bed. That’s when the phone rang.

          Teal’s grandfather handed it to Janet. Teal watched as her mother’s face turned to a frown. 

          “No,” Janet said, “We didn’t agree on this, no.” 

          Teal was confused and for some reason worried. Maybe it was because of her mother’s expression, but the moment Teal’s name was mentioned, her stomach felt as if it dropped to her feet.

          “But Teal’s with me.” Janet cried, “Teal is my daughter! You can’t let him have her!” There was a pause as Janet listened to what was being told to her. “Yes, I know she’s his daughter too but-” She listened, “But-” She bit her lip, “She doesn’t want to live with her father she wants to live with me! Her father was never there for her!” 

          Teal felt as if she couldn’t breathe, she listened very carefully through the wall to make sure she heard every word. She did not want to live with her father. She hated him more than anything. 

          “A contract?” Janet asked, “I did not sign any contract agreeing to give custody of Teal to my ex if we ever got divorced.”

          Teal got of the couched and walked into the kitchen where her mother was on the phone. She watched her mother’s face drop. 

          “Oh,” Janet said with realization, “I remember now.”

          Teal couldn’t believe what she was hearing. Her mother agreed to give her father custody of her? 

          “Okay,” Janet said before hanging up the phone, “I will drop her off at his house tomorrow.” A tear ran down her cheek, “I understand,” She choked, “Thank you.”

          “How could you do that?” Teal asked her mom, startling her, “How come you didn’t fight for me? In fact, how come you gave him custody of me in the first place?”