iii. inperfections

THREE
OH FOR FUCKS SAKE

SOMETIMES, SHE imagined the stars the same way as she would a puzzle. They both shared a quality of concluding to countless possibilities. People, life, or even herself. And in the end, everything connects together until it reaches perfection. Funny, how the one thing you value in life is nowhere near in describing yourself.

Iris was no perfectionist, her dorm was a mess with papers scattered everywhere. She often did her tie while speed walking through corridors because she's always running late. Her handwriting is a mess, and she's also left handed which leads to ink smudging against her hand and the paper. The one thing about her that was perfect was her soul.

Merlin, it was beautiful.

How on earth did someone who went through so much pain, have the fullest of hearts? No one knew. But somehow, Iris managed. The gentlest touch, the softest voice, and the kindest words. She had a way with words. On paper, and outloud, she had found the perfect balance of sympathy and support that could even bring out the most sorrowful people that have dug themselves so deep, to feel ok again. She was also compassionate, especially about the things or people she cared most for.

She often dreamt about the world far beyond hogwarts. The planets, and the constellations. How they shine brightly in contrast with the depths of the night to create the most mesmerising shade of blue to be discovered. That's how she decided, at the age of 11 when she had her first astronomy class, that this very shade of blue would be cherished forever.

Which leads back to now, looking up at the darkening sky, there shined her favourite colour. She imagined it to be as clear as ever as she and the girls approached the carriages. The walk was much less stressful than the mayhem that was caused only just to get to the train compartment. The slight breeze blowing strands from her loose ponytail described September perfectly.

The wind wasn't too strong, the air was cold, but not cold enough that you would need to layer up with jumpers and a hat and scarf. It represented the beginning of a school year, and the end of summer.

As they approached the nearing carriages they noticed that only 2 were still, and that they would have to split up as they only carried 6 on each. The one on the left containing 2 younger Hufflepuffs, and the other containing-

"Oh for fuck sake"

The marauders. Lily threw her head back in annoyance as the others exchanged awkward glances. It was no secret that Lily didn't enjoy their presence, which was understandable. Iris thought for a moment on what they could do, deciding that she didn't really mind the boys, and Marlene was Sirius's girlfriend, both of them could separate from the group and meet back at the entrance of the castle.

"Why don't Marlene and I go with the boys, and you 4 go in the other. I'm sure Marlene will want to see Sirius anyway and she'd probably scare the poor children off, and I don't mind sitting with them" she tried to sound as convincing as possible, knowing that for some reason, Lily did not necessarily like her being around them except for Remus.

Lily looked her dead in the eye and Iris was hoping she had not upset her friend further. Dorcas nudged the red heads side and gave her a look. Lily sighed but nodded slightly, showing her way of agreeing with iris. She smiled in relief and gave the 4 girls a hug goodbye and began walking with the blonde, who smiled excitedly.

"Oh I can't wait to see this" she clapped her hands with glee. Iris shot her a confused look but Marlene only grinned, shrugged, and walked slightly ahead.

🦌

James wasn't sure if he had the best, or worst luck ever. Sitting down in the carriage got him excited. Sure he loved everything about being at home with his parents, but Hogwarts was something nothing could top, and he loved every minute of it. He started to wonder why it was taking so long to move and noticed that they and a carriage containing 2 younger students seemed like they were stalling behind.