Chapter 1: My Savior

My mom and her husband were fighting again, ugh, I hate them, I hate my life, my stupid fucking life! I just wanted to have a normal life, was it that hard to give?

I took out my bag and went to my work, which is the convenience store. While walking there, I took out a pack of cigarettes and took my lighter. I inhaled the unhealthy substance, which gave me a sense of peace. I soon arrived at my work so I threw away the cigarette butt and crushed the remaining flames with my feet.

"Hey Andrea," I yelled my co-workers' name, "I'm here now, you can leave." She shouted "Finally! Geez what took you so long? I have a party to attend." she asked while removing her uniform vest. "Sorry, I had something going on at home.." I went to the staff's room, took my uniform vest and cap, then wore it.

I went back to the counter, "Alright bitch, I'm leaving now, take care of this old skunk alright?" Andrea said while sucking on her lollipop, I nodded at her and she quickly left. Great, I'm alone again. I grabbed my phone and took my headphones, then looked for a song to play. I found one, I played Out of Time by The Weeknd half of my playlist is taken over by him.

I started vibing with my headphones on and didn't even realize that I had a customer entering the store. He was wearing a dark green sweater, with black pj's, with Black Nike Slippers on. He went to the beverage aisle. I watched all of his moves since It was only me and him here at the store. He soon walked towards me and asked for his payment.

"That'll be $15, sir," I said as I scanned his items. He gave me exactly $15. "Alone?" he asked. I was hesitant to reply since I barely talk to customers unless it's about work. "Uhh..yes" I didn't have a choice but to answer, If I didn't answer, he might think I'm being rude! "Same," he said. "Wanna hang out?" he said while I places the stuff he bought in a paper bag. "I'd love to but I can't leave my work." He bit his lip and looked down while I gave him his paper bag.

"I'll wait for you then." He said and sat down at one of the chairs near me. It's been 4hrs and he still hasn't left. What does this guy want? The store was silent until a random group of men entered. They looked drunk as fuck. One of them went towards me, "Hey pretty girl, Wanna come with us?" What the fuck? We didn't have security right now since no one was available. I didn't say anything because I was scared. The guy from earlier was just watching.

He hopped on the counter and sat in front of me. "Aww, why aren't you talking?" He was about to lay his disgusting hands on me, I closed my eyes due to fright. Next thing I knew I heard something hit the counter.

I opened my eyes and saw the guy from earlier punching the drunk guy. I was so surprised by what I saw, I stood still and watched them. Then it hit me, I dialed 911 hoping they would answer. A few seconds later, I heard a voice coming from the phone.

"This is 911, what's ur emergency?"

"Yes uhm there's people fighting here, please come quick, I don't want anyone to get hurt more"

"All right ma'am, may I ask what's ur address is?" I quickly gave them the address of the store and they told me to calm down and stay away from the fight. A few minutes passed and they were still fighting. Thankfully the police arrived and went between the two.

"Alright, what's going on here?" The policeman said, "This guy fucking punched me! I didn't even do anything to him!" the drunk men said. The policeman quickly asked the two to get inside their car. "Ma'am you'll need to come with us for further questioning about what happened" I nodded and went inside their car too. The drunk guy was with other policies while I and the guy who kind of saved me earlier were beside each other.

I didn't feel quite safe with him since he can literally make someone bleed the heck out of them in just a second. I wanted to go to a different car but I didn't have a choice, I might get in trouble.

We soon arrived at the police station, a woman asked me if I was OK and I told them I was. She asked me to sit down in front of her so I did. "What happened there?" she asked while holding a pen.

"The drunk guy just suddenly talked to me and almost kissed me! I felt uncomfortable." I looked down as I remembered what had happened earlier.

She wrote something down but I couldn't read it since she was a bit far from my seat. "Did the other guy hurt you?" she asked me while looking straight into my eyes.

"No, he actually kind of saved me.." silence broke out. She stood up and asked me one more question, "Do you know him?" I looked at the guy from earlier who was also being questioned and said "No miss, I do not know him, I just met him earlier."

She smiled at me and told me to rest for a while so that I can leave.

I waited outside, curious about what happened to the guy who saved me. I took my phone out and tried to distract myself from what was happening. I heard the front door open and I saw the guy going towards me, "Are you hurt?" he asked worriedly. "No" I replied, he stayed silent next to me.

"Thank you," I said.

"Thank you for what?"

"From earlier?"

Did he suddenly forget about what happened? "Oh, Uhm, no problem" he smiled at me.

"Do you still wanna go back to your work or not?" He asked while we were walking on a bridge. "I think I'd just prefer not to" I couldn't help but remember what happened earlier.

"I'm Kenji" he said, "Kehlani." I replied.