Mermaids: The Temptress of the Seas

Have you ever pondered the existence of the mythical Mermaids? These captivating beings, with their mesmerizing half-human, half-fish physiques, are said to reside in the unfathomable depths of the ocean.

Their legends have been passed down from generation to generation, transcending time and cultures. For instance, in the village where I spent my childhood, there was a popular tale regarding these enigmatic creatures.

In the local folklore, there is a long-held belief that one should never venture out alone when going fishing or riding a "banca" - a small boat popular in the Philippines. The reason behind this is attributed to the existence of mermaids, who are said to inhabit the waters. It is believed that if a lone fisherman or boat rider encounters a mermaid, they will be lured away and never return.

Legend has it that mermaids have an insatiable desire for love and companionship and often abduct men to be their husbands. However, if they find their chosen mate to be unworthy or unsuitable, they will return the body but keep the soul.

These tales of the mermaids have been passed down from generation to generation, and while some may dismiss them as mere superstition, many still hold on to the belief that it is better to be safe than sorry when it comes to encountering these beautiful and mysterious creatures of the sea.

How does a mermaid do it?

Legend has it that if you ever find yourself alone by the sea, you may hear a spellbinding melody carried by the waves. This is the mermaid's call, known as "Harana" to the elders. They warn that listening to it will put your soul in danger, but the allure of the mermaid's voice is too great for many to resist. It is said that once you hear the song, you will be enchanted by its sweet and haunting melody.

As soon as the mermaid casts her captivating spell on you, she will rise from the depths of the ocean and reveal herself before your very eyes. Her mesmerizing beauty and enchanting aura will leave you spellbound and transfixed, as you bear witness to the mystical creature from the depths of the sea.

The elders said, you must never look at her especially at her eyes because she'll seduce you and will drag you into the waters.
But mermaids are too beautiful. It's hard to look away from them for their eyes give that different sparkle like precious jewels. With their skins as fair as a pearl; and hair softer than anything else, no man would ever be able to resist looking at them.
Yes, they are beautiful beyond imagination...

And they said once you lose your mind, she'll drag you down into the waters and that's the last time you'll be seen alive.
After 3 days, your lifeless and rotting body will reappear. If that happens then the mermaid who took you didn't find you good enough to be with her.
But if you get lucky and the mermaid finds you perfect for a husband, she'll turn you into a merman. And the family you left behind will receive a huge amount of fortune.

Most of the visitors in our village laugh at the legend. Because they. think it was just some silly myth.
But there are times when visitors go missing while exploring the sea. After 3 days, their bodies reappear. Only a few never returned.

Still, outsiders think it's just a coincidence. Perhaps those who went missing and were never found went into hiding.
But for us, it was a mermaid's doing.

- End -

*The image used in this story is my own work

**I'm sorry for any grammatical and spelling errors. And sorry if the story is lame. I did my best.

***This story is fictitious. Any similarities to actual events and persons, living or dead, are coincidental.

**** I'd like to hear from you. Leave your feedback in the comments section below. XoXo

; please do not claim my posts.
; please do not repost without putting the proper credits.
; PLAGIARISM IS NOT JUST A CRIME. IT IS ALSO A SIN.

—Averie L。 🍂
(12-31-2022)