Chapter One - Off to College I go!

"Miriam, hurry!" My mothers voice drifted from the kitchen, "You're going to miss the bus!" 

I sit on my bed and survey my surroundings. My bedroom is relatively tidy, apart from a few stray items here and there. My bulging suitcase sit on the floor beside my feet, the fabric almost breaking at the seams. Today is the day,  I tell myself, Off to college i go. 

I stand up,  grab the handle of my suitcase and make my way to my bedroom door, where i stop.

I suddenly realize, that the very bedroom in which i've been in for the past 16 years is going to be mine no more, the very house in which i've lived in all my life is going to be nothing but a distant memory.

In the books i've read, people never forget home. But will it really be like that? Oh, how I wish my life was a book.

If i thought leaving the house was difficult, then saying goodbye to my parents was distressful. No matter how many times i told myself not to cry, i cried. Which made my mother cry, telling me how proud she was of me, and how proud my father would be if he were here too. But that's okay, he may be in heaven, but he'll always be in my heart.  

I caught my bus in time, and thats when it hit me, a little late.. but it still hit me: 

I'm off to college. 

College

No matter how many times I say it, (or think it) It still seems so. . . surreal. 

But, off to College i go.