Chapter Five - Age of the Angels

My mind is swirling with questions. An angel? No... I can't be. This is all some type of sick Halloween prank. 

"So you're telling me, that my father isn't dead?" I say slowly.  

Ian purses his lips together and nods. "Yes. Miriam, your fathers alive. He can't come down to earth though, ever since he impregnated your mother he's been banned from earth until you turned 17. That's the 'Age of the Angels'." He says. 

This is all way too much for my to comprehend. But at the same time... It kind of makes sense. My mother was never sad about my father leaving, she always said that when my time is right we'd both be able to see him. Does she mean my 17th birthday? I've no idea.  

"She does. She knew your father was an angel," Ian says.  

Shoot. I forgot about the whole mind-reading thing.  

"You've got to stay out of my head," I tell him. 

"Look, if you want proof I can give it to you. But this isn't a prank." He says, looking straight into my eyes.  

I nod at him. "I want proof."  

He stands up and says something, it sounds like 'reveal my wings' but, it almost sounded a whole other language. It was like a song, but it was high. That's when I realize it: it was angel. That's the language of the angels. I don't know how I know this, but I do.

To my surprise, attached to Ian's back is a beautiful pair of glistening white wings. They look like they're made completely of soft, white feathers. They glow in the darkness. I feel strangely. . . Attached to them.  

I want to touch them, to feel the softness of the feathers between my fingers.

But that feeling vanishes within an instant, as Ian makes his wings go away. He smiles at me.  

"I told you. Angels are real, this isn't a joke."  

"If my dad was-is, an angel. Then am I half?" I ask.  

"No, you're more than that. Your mother is also half angel, which means you're a quarter angel."  

now THAT is crazy. I think to myself.  

My mother is definitely no angel, not even half. but then again... I thought in was normal, once upon a time.