ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 1

Five years Later

I slowly lift my eyelids and i wince as my head pounds violenety. My body lightly stings aswell as my bruises rub against the material im laid on. I flutter my eyes trying to adjust to the light and thats when i realize im in a moving car. I jump out of my position and sit up looking at the drivers seat.

His eyes linger on the road as he drives carefully and and at a steady pace his hands lightly grips the steering wheel and i notice his knuckles are littered with blood and fresh cuts. I look back to his face and his dreads fall nicely on his face just slightly revealing the small scar on his cheek. His face also has small cuts on it a if hes just been in a fi-

"Your staring river." He says eyes still on the road. I quickly look away and lean back in the leather seat and gaze ahead.

How did i get here my body still stings and i examine were it hurts to see deep purple marks ingraved in my skin. Were did these bruises come from? I lift the mirror above me and light emits from it hurting my sensitive eyes. I look into the mirror and softly touch my face seeing the small cuts on my face and look back at him too see the same littered on his face. His jaw tenses and his hands tighten around the wheel when he feels me looking again so i look away. Did he do this?

"I didnt-," he starts "I didnt do this." He exhales as if hes disappointed. I turn away and gaze out the window in hopes to recall how i got here. The last thing i remember is looking for college dorms with my mama and going to ask permission from my-

"Shit." i mumble and exhale before rubbing the bridge of my nose.

"Maytha asked me to drop something at yours since shes was going out of town today." he mumbles.

"I texted you first to come outside and then i called... so when time started going i came to knock at the door. I stood there waiting. waiting for maybe one of your parents to come out." he exhales as if he didn't want to continue.

He softly turns the steering wheel and enters a parking lot and parks the car and leans back into his seat.

"I swear to god river as soon as i heard you screaming... when i heard what he was doing to you i was doing everything i could to get that door open... To protect you." He didnt deserve to see all of this he didnt deserve to fight my fight.

My legs bounce up and down softly and i look away from him while tears fall on my face i sniff and quickly wipe my tears to look back at him.

"Im sorry... Im so sorry." As soon as the words leave my mouth i start sobbing and i place my head in my hands to cover myself. I feel his hands hover above me as hes about to caress me but hesitates. My heart stings a little more but i dont make a fuss.

"You cant go back there...Your gonna stay with maytha and i for the time being okay? Shes not home at the moment so when we get home ill make u some dinner while u freshen up and try clean your wounds. Please dont tell her about this, you know how she gets." I nod and silently thank him as he starts the car again.

                                                                                                 ♡

The warm water drips down my body as i massage the soap into my skin with a new white loofa. I lather my body with a vanilla scented shower gel and exhale as if this shower is a breath of fresh air. The water caresses my bruises and my scars and i close my eyes as the soap washes off my body. The water slightly stings as it slides down my abdominal area and my new tattoo. I only just recently got it done as i turned 18 a few months ago somehow having the words 'Forever and Always.' engraved in my skin makes me feel somewhat still connected with my brother.

I know its stupid but, Sometimes i imagine that he used all the last energy he had to run. Run so far till he was somewhere safe and maybe he just ran a little too far and ever since then hes been trying to get all his energy to run back to me.

I switch off the shower and clean up before wrapping myself in a towel once i leave the shower i pick out a pair of pyjamas i left here previously in maythas room and then open up the tub of shea butter and massage it into my skin with bio oil. After i moisturize i put on my pyjamas and place myself on the floor infront of the mirror. I take a comb and section my hair before putting it in two plaits and lastly place a bonnet on my head.

Theres a light knock on the door and i go open it. We both dont say anything and just look at eachother. He stands with now a black long sleeved compression shirt and some grey sweatpants and his cuts still look really bad. Everytime i look at him i cant help but admire him, hes so beautiful and his aura feels so warm. He shakes something in his hand and points to the kitchen and thats when i notice the first aid kit in his hand and the smell of shawarma fills my nose. I follow him to the kitchen and sit on the dining table.

"I hope you like it. I'm not the best cook." He shrugs pushing the plate towards me. I smile knowing hes just being modest because maytha has told me all about his cooking.

"Thank you Adam." I start to eat and so does he and we just eat in silence but its a comfortable silence and thats all that matters. Him and Maytha have been like a second family to me ever since things started going down hill at home. He sees me as a little sister and so does maytha.

When I finish eating my food I get two glasses and place them on the table and then I go to the fridge to get a carten of orange juice. I pour my glass first and his after then i start drinking, while he starts to put the plates away in the dishwasher.

After a while we finish cleaning up the kitchen and i sit at the dinner table and so does he. He opens up the first aid kit and scans for the things he needs while i sit facing him. Once he has everything he needs he looks at me.

"Can you like. Come clo- actually nevermind." He grabs the edge of my chair and drags it so i'm just a few centimeters away from him. I turn around in my seat to face him and our knees brush against each other. He grabs a cotton ball and adds rubbing alcohol. He keeps one hand on my chair as he starts dabbing the cotten ball on my face making me wince slightly. Once hes done he places a small circular plaster on the more obvious ones.

I thank him getting ready to go to bed but he stops me.

"Lift your shirt up river." He mumbles without looking at me. I look at him oddly about to protest when he shuts me up.

"Not in that way, i saw the bruise on your lower stomach earlier and i just wanted to see if its bad?" I sit back down and lift up my shirt and hold it just above my belly button.

He inspects it and and nods his head in appreciation and after he goes to the fridge and opens up the freezer he gets a blue ice pack and brings it to me he sits back down and presses the ice pack onto my lower stomach. I grab his hand and look at him as he freezes.

"Thank you but i think i can do this myself." My hand doesn't move from his until i finally realise im holding him and we both let go.

"Oh, yeah im sorry." He moves away and i pull my shirt down still holding the ice pack.

"You should get some sleep." He says while standing up to put the first aid kit away.

"okay... uhm thank you and goodnight adam." I say while i start to leave.

"Always riv, goodnight." he mumbles and i start walking to my bedroom but i still feel his eyes digging holes in my back.

I go into the guest bedroom and tuck myself in and just stare at the ceiling. I strech out my arms to grab my airpods on the side table and i put them in pressing play on my playlist and i just stared at the ceiling.

All night.

𝒜𝓊𝓉𝒽𝑜𝓇𝓈 𝓃𝑜𝓉𝑒:

Guys, please forgive me I've been sick with writer's block 😭 So sorry for the late update, ima try to work on that... anyways hope you guys enjoyed and don't be a silent reader leave comments don't be shy!! Also, guys don't be afraid to send me any suggestions or warn me about spelling mistakes!! Thank you bye!!!