ᴘʀᴏʟᴏɢᴜᴇ

ꜰɪʀꜱᴛ ᴛɪᴍᴇ ʀᴇᴀᴅᴇʀ ᴍᴀʀᴋ:

TW: ABVSE

July 22nd 2014

My father's fist pounds violently into my brother's face, and my brother holds onto him pushing away trying to escape from his grasp. My brother uses his feet to kick at him but my father punches him hard causing my brother's actions to weaken. My mother screams and protests for my father to stop and she scrambles for the phone to call the police. My father lets go and everything goes silent for a moment.

The painting shatters as my brother is slammed against it leaving fragments of glass on his crimson-stained skin. Another object flew across the living room smashing harshly, laying yet another dent on the wall. The movement causes the walls to vibrate and I shiver as I sit on the cold floor of my room cradling myself while tears silently pour down my face. I rock my body back and forth slowly trying to calm myself down. I hum my favourite song out of tune in an attempt to calm myself down but my voice falters and tears leak into my mouth. The yells and screams fill my ears and I quickly lift my weak arms to cover them.

Why am I just sitting here? Why aren't I doing anything to help-

"DAD! please stop, please..." My brother yells with fear in his voice. He cries, blood dripping from his face. He doesn't deserve this.

The sound of loud tumbling and hits echoes around the house. The usual exchange of grunts and swear words are shouted and my mother shouts and cries for them to stop fighting. I cry louder because no barrier can stop me from hearing it. Even when it stops I can still hear it, in my sleep I can still hear it, when I'm alone...

I hear loud steps sprint up the stairs and my brother's door is swung open. I quickly unwrap myself lifting myself to see what's going on. I see my brother's shadow moving around the room as he pants out of breath. I drag myself to his room and I stand at his door watching him stuff his belongings into a bag. He freezes as he senses my presence at the door and he slowly puts everything down. Blood, sweat and tears drip from every part of his body causing little droplets to fall on the floor. No one's speaking, this speaks loud enough.

"I'm going to be going away for a bit, okay riv." He sighs finally breaking the silence and  then continues to pack. When he spoke it was quiet and he sounded so weak and tired. I don't say anything and I just stand there watching him pack. I'm not going to say anything, I'm not going to beg him to stay either. He needs to be somewhere safe and that's anywhere away from here. I want him to be happier. Even if that means leaving me and mama.

After he zips up his backpack he puts his phone into his pocket but then hesitates and takes it out before he opens it and quickly taps away on his screen then he switches it off and turns around sitting on his bed, he pats the spot next to him and I take the hint and sit down.

"I'm going to come back to get the rest of my stuff but after that, I don't know if I'm going to come back... I want you to stay strong, okay riv? I want you to be the strong girl I know." He sighs and hands me the phone. Tears are falling from my eyes but my face is blank and I quickly wipe them away taking the phone.

"I'm going to be okay, please don't worry about me. I'm going to be safer where I'm going. I'm staying with a good friend. I'll text you from his phone until I can get a new one." I nod and try to smile through the tears that appear once again, he lifts his hand to wipe my tears and smiles.

"Keep smiling and be happy forever, okay..." He sticks his pinky out and I wrap mine around his.

"Always," I mumble back. I know its not true though because as soon as he leaves this room... After he leaves this house im going to breakdown. Im loosing a part of my heart today. My bestfriend. The only person who ever cared for me and knew the exact words to make me feel better.