Bad Wolf Bay, on a day like many others

It isn't the same beach, he must remember that - otherwise, his old hearts won't bear it.

He stands in the same place, on the very same spot, but he's not there. He is on Earth, on the very Earth he learnt to know and love across the centuries; not where she has been living since that terrible day, unreachable.

She has been loved, he must remember that, too. Had his other angry and weak self... given her children? Had they travelled? Had he managed to grow a TARDIS and take her to explore that dimension's universe?

Tears begin to fall, now, as his hand shields his eyes from the sunset light, refracted by the water and colouring his white hair red.

He's tired and cold, but he doesn't know how long he stands motionless, as an emptiness inside his chest digs and makes him dizzy, until he finally sways and has to lean on his cane.

I burnt up a sun...

He hears footsteps on the shore, the voice of his young friend: 'Professor Smith, are you alright?'

She is so funny, Kate's assistant, with her inhaler and the scarf he gave her as a present. So caring and absent-minded she makes him smile, even now, as he rubs his wet cheeks and accepts to take her arm.

'I'm fine, Osgood, only... many memories.'

'That's good. We're off to Oslo again, our flight leaves tomorrow morning. I promise I'll drive more carefully.'

They start walking, leaving unnoticed footprints on the sand behind them.

Just for a moment he looks back to watch the last farewell of the Norwegian sun - and that of Rose Tyler's impalpable shadow.

'Who knows... who knows.'