Chapter Six: Lunch

The cafeteria is not as packed today. Clubs have their first meetings this week. Our table is full, with the exception of six chairs, at least Abigail is not at the table yet, so I will not have to deal with her snarky comments about how I should have been at the movie last night.

    That still does not keep Nicole, Jill, and July from talking about it nonstop without even noticing my arrival.

    "Ugh, the ending last night was the best!" Nicole squeals to Jill and July who squeal back, their cheeks flushing pink, probably just from thinking about whoever the hot main character dude was.

    July perks up, "ohh I know, and can we talk about how it was actually not a cheesy movie like they usually are? I mean to have the whole film be a mystery and then turn it into a rom-com, absolutely genius!" July ends her comment with her fingers making the okay sign.

    Jill plucks the pepperonis off her pizza, "it was honestly a strange concept for a movie. The guy and the girl were cute together, but the relationship progressed way too fast. I mean they seriously kissed two days after they met. Shouldn't you at least wait until you know the guy?" Jill takes a bite of her pepperoni-less pizza.

    There is a tap on my shoulder. I am horrified it is Abigail about to cuss me out for my anti–social attitude from last night. We all know she is worthy of telling people off by an assortment of words my mom would ground me until I am fifty for saying. I spin around. 

    "Hey Caroline, is it all right if I sit here?" Travis stares down at me with his backpack slung over one shoulder and his lunch tray in his hands.

    My heart stops for a moment in relief but picks up again once Travis's blue eyes gleam at me. I look at the girls who barely notice me but are now wide-eyed and drooling over Travis's charming looks. Anyone would think a prince just strutted up to our table and asked for my hand in marriage.

    "Of course, you can sit here! As long as you don't mind sitting with a bunch of girls." I slide my backpack out of the empty chair next to me, hopefully, I will be the one he chooses to sit by.

    He slides into the chair next to me, adjusting the arms of his backpack around the back of the chair. "Thanks. I have three sisters, so I don't mind." His movie star smile stuns me once again. All the girls wink at each other in agreement that he is the cutest thing they have ever laid eyes on. Then, all of their faces twist into confusion as they realize they have no idea who he is. I guess I will have some explaining to do.

    "HI!" Jill, July, and Nicole utter in unison as if they are meeting a celebrity straight from the silver screen.

    I guess I should introduce you to everyone." I gesture to Nicole first, "this is Nicole Hartman. She is a junior."

    Nicole holds out her hand in a greeting, when internally I know she isjust wanting an excuse to hold his hand, even if it is only for five seconds.Gosh, can't she tell I like him? "Nice to meet you." Nicole gives me a look asif I am missing something. "Although I don't know your name, I guess Carol forgot to mention it." I notice how she emphasizes certain words like a secret message.

    "Oh, guys this is Travis Cunningham. He is new to Lantern Light; he is from North Carolina." Nicole and Travis clasp hands in a friendly handshake, and I quickly move on to Jill. "Travis, this is Jill Hampton. She is a senior just like us."

    Jill gives Travis an amiable "hello, nice to meet you." But I see her cheeks blush crimson.

    July does not even wait for me to introduce her to Travis. She juts out her hand. "July Ross, I am a sophomore but hang out with my senior friends. I enjoy hanging out with friends, listening to music, and attending football games and parties."