5: First Date

We arrived at a small diner, not too far from our school. As we took our seats, I took my time to ponder on my recent choices. I knew I could very well still walk away with minimal consequences as I was just here to get my necklace. But I found I was quite curious as to how this interaction may go... Not to degrade the importance of the jewelry I'd been given by my dad. I also wanted to know what his deal was and why I happened to be the center of his attention recently. From what I'd gathered, it wasn't very normal.

"funny. " I stated.

He looked at me with a raised brow.

"what is? "

"I thought you'd prefer something much fancier. "

He let out a little laugh.

"hey, I'm a very simple guy." he said as he picked up his menu. "aren't you going to order something? "

I wasn't planning to but now that he mentioned it, I decided it would be a waste not to.

"why don't you focus on what you're gonna eat instead. "I spat, sounding way meaner than intended. He didn't seem to mind.

After a good long look at the menu I decided to have a steak. Val just requested to have whatever I was having.

We sat in silence for while and I watched him look at me with this cocky smirk on his face while all I could offer in return was a glare or just a very serious unamused stare.

"so. " I said.

"so? " he replied. I internally cursed the insufferable asshole.

"so? Why'd you bring me here? "

"to get to know you."

Really? I bit back all the swear words I was about to use.

"is that all it will take to get my necklace back? "

"not necessarily. " he shrugged.

I took a deep, deep breath. "this is pointless. "

"is it? I'm not unreasonable. I will return it in due time. "

"it's not even yours. What do you need it for? How is this even negotiable? "

"it is after all, just a piece of jewelry. "

"just? Then why am I even here? "

"why are you even here? "

The arrival of our food saved him from being strangled by me. I was wondering what his slender neck would feel like in my unmerciful grip.

"are you just saying this to annoy me? "

"of course. "He chuckled.

"shameless. " I murmured.

"I know. "

The steak smelled good. After digging in halfway through, I looked up at the demon who hadn't made a move to talk.

"what do you want to know? "

"anything basic. It doesn't have to be too personal. Am I asking too much? "

I sighed.

"you already know I'm Erica and that I'm a human, born in the human realm. I'm seventeen, and vampires who blackmail me with my things annoy me. "

I smiled a bit as I watched him almost choke like he wasn't expecting it. He cleared his throat slightly and asked.

"you've never been on Ranis before? "

"not unless you brought me here before. Not that I can remember. "

"good point. Why is the necklace so important?"