Mei: Part 2

Mei's body was invaded by goosebumps at the sound of her sister's shrill whisper. Her hair was dripping wet and her dress was soaked through all the way to the front.

Her mind had gone blank for a split second as she tried to register what just happened.

"that's right Mei, you definitely should learn to do as you are told. " came Mai Ka, the second.

"oh dear, Su-ah, what if other people see? You could get in trouble you know." added Chi Si. Those two would follow Su-ah to hell if she asked.

"oh please, she clearly asked for it,  openly flirting with my date. " said Su-ah .

Mei sat there dumbfounded with the thought that she deserved it ringing in her head.

It wasn't long before she heard Minyu's voice. She couldn't see their faces but she could tell what expressions they all had on. All she saw was the half eaten apple in front of her.

"what's going on? " she could even sense his confused expression from the tone of his voice.

"it's obviously nothing. Conversing with our sister that's all. "stated Su-ah . "isn't that right, Mei? "

Mei still felt numb from what just happened.  Her hands were shaking, she was trying to calm her breathing as her heartbeat raced. She hadn't properly imagined how the night would turn out and it hadn't even been an hour before this situation.

"it... It's... Nothing. "

Minyu was having none of it. "Mei? Mei,  are you alright? "

She got up instinctively.

"I need to go. " she turned around and facing whatever direction was forward,  she ran. This was a mistake.

She could hear the few families and persons she passed by whispering to themselves about whether everything was alright. She didn't know...she didn't care.  She just ran straight ahead with the hopes that she could find a way to clear her head.

She got tired eventually and after catching her breath, she walked. There were lights not too far ahead and she knew she was about to walk into one of the many villages in the area.

She could hear laughter and she could feel the joy of the environment. The indistinct chatter was not reserved to just murmurs and whispers but loud hearty laughs that would echo around the vicinity.

In this valley, she could perceive the fragrance of flowers and fresh grass, she felt the moisture from the moss between her toes. The warm lights from the lamps and lanterns illuminated the place just the right amount that everything seemed surreal.

The music in the area was upbeat with a mixture of several different melodies that didn't necessarily go together but made sense all the same.

In the distance, a vixen moved in what Mei considered horrific movements that should have been a lovely dance but failed and fell into the arms of who Mei assumed was her partner, and they burst into a hearty laughter at her clumsiness.  Children ran around the place chasing each other around with cheerful laughter.

Her nose picked up on the aroma of delectable dishes and Mei herself began to feel hungry remembering the half eaten apple she'd left behind admist the swirl of emotions she had felt.

She stopped walking and took a deep breath trying to match the energy of this small town.

Serene.

What she felt back then,  anger and hurt and a little bit of regret began to slowly dissipate. But that sadness, the confusion... She always felt those... Always. She already knew she couldn't fit in. Her ears were merely pointy and she couldn't even achieve a fox form. Sometimes she felt as if the foxes she'd been around or any beast for that matter, was waiting for an opportunity to point out those minor physical flaws and make fun of her for it.