Prologue

Prologue

My mother once told me that, sometimes, when life was difficult, harsh and unforgiving, know that it was a test. A test to see how long someone would last under its unrelenting grasp, how long they'd survive, and how long it took them to break. Whether you lost a dear one or had succumbed to sickness, it was all just some crazy, twisted test to see if you deserved salvation.

In a storm, my test began. 

The sky, a dull grey from the countless clouds that coated it, started to slowly release snowflakes. Fine, insignificant frosted crystals started to sprinkle down from the heavens on the area like sugar caster being sprinkled onto a cake. Delighted, I grinned up at the sky, teeth, dimples and all. I loved fresh snow, gentle and whimsical and so very enchanting. Its softness somehow always managed to seep into my pores down to my very core and calm it, leaving me with a sense of tranquility. It was a wonder how such tiny intricate crystal-like formations could be so beautiful, so calming, and so incredibly magical.

The smell of November air filled my nostrils, the honks of geese flying overhead drifted to my ears and falling snowflakes tapped at my cheeks, leather boots and knits. All those insignificant elements made this rural stroll much more exciting and enjoyable, one I would commit to memory. Wind blew at my hair, the feeling sending a jolt of happiness to dance around my body. Pretty soon, I'd be able to make snowmen and snow angels, something I had been anxiously waiting for ever since winter came. I danced around enthusiastically, tried to mimic the geese's hilarious honks and made snowballs that I threw at any living thing that I happened to come across.

The rustling of bushes nearby gave me pause.

Whatever it was, the way the whole row of bushes shook and trembled hinted at the size of that thing. It was big. Eyes wide and heart hammering furiously against my ribcage, I dropped the snowball I had been attempting to throw at passing geese overhead and waited.

There were many rumors that haunted the Evergreen Forest, chilling tales that were rarely spoken of. It was said that terrible man-eating creatures ruled this forest and watched over it, and that if you happened to come across them, you were to run as fast as your legs could carry you and never look back or return.

Gulping a sudden lump that had formed in my throat, I braced myself for whatever was going to emerge.

A deer jumped out of the bushes and 'gracefully' pranced away, leaving its footsteps on the snow in its wake. Shrugging, I mindlessly continued my fun, paying no attention to how far I had gotten away from my house and how deep into the forest I was heading. Time was of no importance to me either; all I cared about was this golden chance to explore and have fun. Evergreen Forest was truly a breathtaking place, far more beautiful and enchanting than what those strange legends made it out to be. It was nature at its best, that was for certain. 

I didn't get why it was such a big deal to enter it.

I finally stopped when reality's cold wind blew at me, sending bone-chilling shivers down my spine, arms and legs. I was getting cold and my hoodie, boots and gloves could no longer sustain me. I suddenly craved a mug of hot chocolate. In other words, it was time to head home. When I turned around, ready to start heading back to my warm house that sat at the outskirts of Evergreen Forest, realization struck with the force of a sledgehammer. 

I was far, far from home. 

Suddenly and without warning, the falling flakes grew bigger, dotting the road and grass. The wind picked up speed and the now quarter-size flakes flew into my hair and face, tickling me at first, but they quickly became a nuisance, and then painful. I covered my head with my hoodie, hoping to keep some of the flakes away from my face. It wasn't long before the wind blew with huge gusts. I zipped up my hoodie and walked down the path I had used, praying that I hadn't gone too deep into the forest and that I'd reach home as safely and as quickly as humanly possible. Sooner than what I'd anticipated, the ground became covered by layers upon layers of thick, heavy snow. The elements were fighting against me.