Surprise on Day 1

(A/N: I'm going to add in one more headcanon, and that is that David and Max have a pet labrador. She's a female and her name is Honeyswirl, and the other headcanon is that the entire camp campbell kids are all in a group chat with each other. Anyway, enjoy this chapter!)

Max's POV

I woke up from my alarm, somehow thinking it was still summer. When I checked the time on my phone, however, it was 6:00 am. God damn it.. I thought to myself, before tiredly getting out of bed and got ready for the day.

I picked out a dark blue, short-sleeved shirt and a light blue jacket over it. I picked out a pair of black-ish baggy jeans, and wore my new dark-ish read sneakers that David got me for the new school year. I put my hair in a low bun, only because I knew it was gonna bother me the entire school day.

I went downstairs to the kitchen and saw Honeyswirl sleeping on her dog bed peacefully. I slightly smiled at that, before removing my smile and made myself breakfast.

After I finished my breakfast, which was just 2 pieces of toast and some orange juice, since I wasn't that hungry, I grabbed my backpack, shoved all of my essentials into it, and left the house to go to school.

By the time I got there, Nikki and Neil were already there. Hold on, Nikki and Neil? Wow. I was not expecting to see them here. I just shrugged it off and went to go inside, before Nikki spotted me, ran over to me, and captured me in a literal breath-taking hug.

 "Nikki- I can't breathe-" I sputtered out with the amount of oxygen I had. "Whoops, sorry Max!" She said, before letting go of me. Neil then walked over to us. "Hey, guys." He said with a slight smile. I just waved hi back, while Nikki gave a smile as well. "Anyway, c'mon, we don't wanna be late!" Neil then said, before going into the school, with me and Nikki following him.

When I got to my first class of the day, I wasn't expecting David to be my teacher. "Wait- Am I seeing things?" I asked myself with slight confusion. "Nope! It's really me!" David happily spoke. Well, I guess that explains why I didn't see him this morning before I got to school.

Eventually, everyone else entered the classroom, and class started. David wrote on the whiteboard 'Welcome back!' thing, and our agenda for the day, which wasn't that much. When David turned around to look at us, a hand flew to his mouth in shock. "Oh my- Is this really happening?" David asked himself. Everyone who was in the classroom, including me, was from Camp Campbell. Some people were surprised, others were slightly annoyed, like me, and other people were a bit confused by this coincidence.

The day continued like normal, uneventful, but I guess that was how some first days of school are. When it was dismissal time, I quickly got my stuff and went out to David's car, since he wanted to pick me up after school this year. I told him I could just walk to and from school, but he insisted on driving me home. I didn't like the idea of it, but I didn't say anything about it.

When I got in David's car, he greeted me with one of his bright smiles. "Hi, Max!" He said. "Hey." I mumbled. David started the car, and I just stayed quiet. "So, how was your first day of high school?" David asked me. "Uneventful." I replied.

"Oh. Well, I guess that's fair. That was how my first days of school were." David said, understanding my response. "Any homework yet?" David asked again. I shook my head as a no. David simply nodded as a reply.

Eventually, me and David got home and I went to my room. I then entered said room, before tossing my backpack to one side of my room, then threw myself onto my bed, tired, not remembering about David's daily afternoon walks.

Right after I got on my bed, David entered my room. "C'mon, Max! Did you forget about our afternoon walk?" David spoke with his cheerful tone, as usual. I pretty much lunged myself off of my bed. "No, I didn't!" I lied. David chuckled, before presumably going outside to wait for me.