Chapter 9

Somehow, and neither of them were quite sure how, they managed to pull away from each other. Roseanne finally got in the car and Lisa hopped in the driver's seat to take them the short distance to the East End towards Blake's. Lisa leaned over at red lights for another kiss until the cars behind her beeped when the lights turned green. She pulled into an empty curbside spot and jumped out to get around to the other side of the car so she could open the door for Roseanne.

"Such a gentleman," Roseanne got out quickly, her breath short, before wrapping her arms around Lisa's neck to pull her in for another kiss. Lisa backed her into the car, a hand at Roseanne's waist and the other tangled in her blond curls. Roseanne liked it too much. She paused, her hands gently on Lisa's shoulders as she pushed her back.

"Is something wrong?" Lisa asked carefully. She searched Roseanne's blue eyes and found nothing but want.

"No, everything is very much right." Roseanne's voice was high and tight as she rolled a pair of wide eyes. "But I can't invite you in."

"What?" Lisa swallowed hard. She had hoped to take this polite make out that was getting too hot for the sidewalk behind a closed door as quickly as possible.

"Lisa, this is our first date," Roseanne reminded her, a mock stern look in her eye. "That's so tacky."

"We're in our thirties!" Lisa cried.

"It's still trashy," Roseanne smirked at her. "And I can tell by this car and your watch and your clothes and your scent that you don't do anything in poor taste."

"My scent?" Lisa yelped. Her adorable look of utter shock and confusion was not making it any easier for Roseanne to push her away.

"Come on," Roseanne softened into a sweet smile. She snuck in a quick kiss that Lisa was too slow to catch and turn into something more. "You know I'm right." Lisa mulled it over and chewed her kiss-swollen bottom lip in thought. It didn't help Roseanne's resolve.

"May I ask you on which date it becomes no longer tacky for you to invite me in?" Lisa asked calmly and tried to suppress the thought of ditching going up to Roseanne's apartment altogether and just pushing her into the back seat.

"Someone's quite confident," Roseanne raised a sassy brow. She liked Lisa's overconfidence. She liked it a lot. Maybe too much.

"I already have a second date with you," Lisa smirked back. "And it's a really good one."

"That's too bad, because everyone knows a lady waits until at least the third date," Roseanne reached up and tapped her index finger on Lisa's nose.

"In that case, I better pick you up for dinner tomorrow," Lisa leaned in to kiss Roseanne's grin.

"That is absolutely cheating," Roseanne got out between kisses.

"So, seven o'clock?" Lisa caught Roseanne's bottom lip gently between her teeth. Roseanne shivered and took a deep breath when Lisa pulled away.

"Six," Roseanne got out through a grin. "I have to get up early on Tuesday for work. I had to do some serious shuffling to get out for your party."

"Six it is," Lisa grinned back. Roseanne wrapped her into a tight hug and kissed her hard.

"I still think this is cheating," Roseanne whispered, their noses touching. "But I'm really glad you thought of it."

"I'm not just a pretty face. I'm smart, too," Lisa joked. Roseanne giggled while Lisa stole a few more kisses before Roseanne finally pushed her away. "I'll see you at six."

"I'll be ready," Roseanne couldn't stop grinning. Her cheeks hurt. "Thank you for a wonderful time."

"The pleasure was all mine, Roseanne," Lisa replied with a matching dopy grin.