Doctor Teary's Plan

It was a warm August morning, warmer than usual in the sizable city of Malmö, which normally wasn't very warm at all. Then again, the whole of Sweden was cold most of the year anyway. Hands stuffed in his pockets, Jacob walked towards the Therapy Building, as he called it, earbuds stuffed inside his ears with the volume turned all the way up-the best of his efforts to drown out the whispers inside his head. He got to the building, pulling open the doors and stepping inside. A husky dark haired man who looked as though he was in his late forties sat at a rounded desk in the middle of the main room. The door clicked shut behind Jacob, and the man looked up immediately, a smile stretching the skin on his face. "Ahh, Mr. Donner! Gud ter see yah, gud ter-she's clear, thurd one on yer left that's-well go on she ain't waitin' all day yeh know!" He shooed Jacob down the hall to elevator three. Pushing to button for level two, he grasped the silver handle behind him, bracing for the jolt of the elevator. He stared at the little glass casing the covered the lighted numbers, 1...2...bing! The elevator doors slid open, revealing a long, soft lighted corridor. Jacob stepped out of the elevator, and its doors shut behind him, sliding back down to the first floor. He swallowed, taking the earbuds out of his ears and shoving them in his pockets. Glancing right and left, he counted the doors until he reached the one that said, JANE M. TEARY, and on a little silver placard was the number 17. Jacob placed his knuckles on the wooden door ready to knock, but it creaked open at his touch, echoing loudly down the corridor. Nervously, Jacob peered his head around the door, searching the room for anything peculiarly out of place. Everything seemed normal; the roses on the shelf, the cedar desk, the crack in the ceiling...but the room was a little off. Like there was something that did not belong..

"Well, there you are!" Jacob felt a hand grip his shoulder and stiffened, heart pounding. "I was beginning to worry you weren't coming." Jane stepped around to look at him, her soft eyes smiling as wide as her mouth. Jacob sighed, letting out the breath he didn't realize he was holding. Jane rushed to her desk, gesturing to one of the leather padded chairs, smiling up at him. "We'll get stared as soon as you get comfortable." Nodding in agreement, Jacob turned to sit in his normal area but stopped dead in his tracks. Sitting in front of him was a girl about his age with dark braided hair and and a sharp face. Her skin was slightly tanned and her fingers were long and slender. She blinked up at him and smiled shyly, waving a shaking hand. "Jacob, I'd like to introduce Jaylin. She will be joining some of your sessions from now on." When Jacob said nothing, Jane continued. "She will be sharing some of her struggles and helping you with yours. Hopefully you two will bond fast enough. She's so much like you, Jacob." There was nothing Jacob could do but stare at Jaylin. Something in the back of his mind told him that he had seen this girl before.

Jane stood and stepped to the door, carefully wrapping her long fingers around the knob. She pulled the door open, motioning with the other hand. "Out you go Jacob, Jaylin." Jacob warily got to his feet, took one last glance over his shoulder at the girl, and stepped out of the room. The door shut behind him, making him spin around, finding himself to be staring directly in the eyes of the girl. She stared back at him, waving nervously. Jacob turned and started down the hall at a brisk pace, wanting to get as far away from that girl as possible. He did not like the idea of his time with Jane corrupted by some despicable little girl. He was walking so fast he began to get short of breath, but he didn't slow. He felt the world was catching on him, and it was much too close for comfort. Once he could get his foot outside he'd be able to breathe again. To think clearly again, for his mind was cluttered with ideas he wasn't quite fond of. He wanted to be home in his room with Åsa, staring at the passing clouds, which would eventually turn to stars; and then he'd look to the moon and wish on the shooting star that everything would fall neatly into place and fit together like a puzzle. Though he hated having to find the pieces. He wasn't as good at that part. But his cat was always there to aid him, even when he hadn't known he was stuck.

"Åsa, I don't think you know how lucky I am to have you" Jacob whispered as he slipped into a daydream. The clouds passed and the day faded to night, and just as he always did, Jacob swished his eyes to the moon and wished on the shooting star.