Strangers to Friends, Friends into Lovers

Happy New Year! Let's close out this year by completing this fic, huh?

Thank you all for coming on this journey of healing and sporadic updates with me. It's been a wonderful two years writing this so I hope you enjoy our conclusion.

Beta love to the usual crew: etoiledune, Highladylily, and Photon Zero-Infinity. And extra shoutout to the DFW group for pushing me to get that 100k on this fic.

Thanks for being here.

peace and love,

sam

______

They strolled through the festival, perusing the wares of the vendors. Draco had bought her at least half a dozen hot chocolates by now because she just kept guzzling them down. Hermione had a suspicion the vendor was using cinnamon or some other delicious spice because it was easily the best hot chocolate she'd ever had.

Hermione pulled Draco to a stop when she saw Ernie with a Slytherin witch two years younger than them. He was currently putting his jacket around her shoulders and buttoning the front buttons while she smiled at him adoringly.

"Looks like I'm not the only one who fell in love in the dungeons," she mused, tilting her head in their direction.

"That's Izora Pucey, Adrian's little sister. She's a good kid," Draco stated. "Adrian will be fuming that someone's even looking at her like that, but it'll be fine."

Ernie noticed them staring and raised his hand in acknowledgement. Hermione smiled and waved back, pulling Draco along with her.

"It's a good turnout," he said, glancing around. "Everyone almost seems, dare I say, happy."

Hermione chuckled and swung their arms back and forth. "Well, I'm happy. Tonight is a night for fun. Nothing dark. Nothing heavy. Just you and me being very dumb teenagers in love."

"Technically we're both adults, love," Draco corrected.

"Teenagers. In. Love," she repeated firmly. "I want to do reckless things, like snog by the castle entrance and get caught by a teacher."

Draco shook his head. "All the trouble you've lived through and getting detention for snogging is the most reckless thing you can think of right now?"

"Yes. It's the most reckless thing that normal teenagers worry about!"

Draco spun her around and walked her backwards through the maze of stalls. Hermione's laughter rang out the whole time. She felt carefree surrounded by all of the winter magic.

It was clear Draco shouldn't be trusted to steer when Hermione collided with a hard body. Michael and Padma were walking together in an animated discussion about the principles of alchemy.

"Sorry, Hermione," Michael said quickly, dipping his head.

"No need for you to apologise. We're in our own world over here. Are you two excited to go back to Ravenclaw?" Hermione asked.

Michael's face softened with relief. "You have no idea. I love you lions, but I can't live with you. It's loud. I miss the muted whispers of my tower. And I miss everyone doing their own work."

"Right? It's like they find out a Ravenclaw is in their midst and expect you to tutor them!" Padma shouted in agreement.

"So the experiment was a bust for you, huh?" Hermione asked, a little disappointed.

"No," Padma and Michael said in unison.

"I actually really enjoyed the relaxed environment in Hufflepuff," Padma said. "They reminded me to take breaks. Brought me snacks. It was a lesson in self-care."