1

It was the last class of the day. History. With Mr Hosney.

It was hard to describe him. A small man with a bald head and glasses, he didn't exactly have a set character. He seemed like he nonchalant yet strict, and gives the vibe he would've been a pushover in high school. Still, I respected him. That didn't mean I didn't laugh at him from time time.

And to be truthful, history was my favourite subject. It was an opportunity to learn about the past, so you could as a society prepare for the fue, which seemed to be ever-changing.

Today the last group was giving their oral reports on their family genealogy. I had already given mine: the prerecorded crappy sob storyy dad gave out whenever dad got bank investors to tour any of his facilities. Of course, if I had more free reign on my own school project, I would have been a little more honest. Of course, like I said. My dad liked tobe controlling.

Today was Sam's go, and I was praying he didn't screw it up.

Marcus Sullivan, who used to be two grades lower than us, and you could really tell, had just finished his as per usual, articulate and thorough family genealogy project, throwing in a few Star Trek references too.

Sam was chatting to Miles, our other friend. To be honest, he was more of Sam's friend than mine, I never really got the dude...he was just. Weird. They met in middle school, when he transferred here with his parents.

Sam kept stealing glances across the room to where Michaela and Trent sat together behind one desk. I smirked and rolled my eyes. Ever since I could remember, Sam had always had a crush on Mikaela. That's why I found it especially weird when people thought we were dating. Anyone could tell when Mikaela was around Sam went all goo-goo eyed. Though, in their defense we did hang out a lot.

I turned towards him "Lover boy stop staring or Trent will catch on."

When he didn't answer, I waved a hand in front of him.
"W-what?"

"Okay, mister Witwicky, you're up." Mr Hosney said, and Sam sprung up to the front with his rucksack.

"Sorry, I got a lot of stuff."He says, laying everything down on the table. I sighed, a little nervous.

Sam needed another 'A' or he wouldn't be getting that car he wanted. Well, to be honest, I kinda wanted him to get it too, so we both could go places more easily, so I helped him get the $2000 his dad had asked for. He'd already gotten the other two 'A's' but he needed one more, and the deadline was today, after school and let's just say, homework wasn't Sam's strong suit.

"oh-kay. For my family genea- ah-" Sam bent down to put his. ruck sack on the ground, before being hit by a rubber band, making everyone laugh.

I turned round, noticing Trent's laugh a little too loud, and his smile a little too arrogant. I scowled at him before rolling my eyes. I didn't even get why Mikaela went out with the dude.

Me and her knew each other, at least a little bit.

I wouldn't say we were friends, because its not like we went out or our way to hang with each other, but if she passed she'd say 'hi' and ask me how my day was, and I would make sure she was doing okay

Last year, before summer she'd found me crying in the bathroom. Not only did I have spend a whole summer around that monster (Sam and his parents were going away) but the night before my father had been, well, let's just say "particularly cruel" to me.

Mikaela had wanted me go report him then and there. Or at least leave. But I said no. I didn't know why, I had always wanted to leave, for as long as I could remember, but whenever I got to I felt this numbing fear that wouldn't let me move. Wouldn't let me make a decision.