Chapter Two

The roads were bare, almost as though everyone suddenly decided to stay within the four corners of their homes. Most of the shops were empty and the few which were not, were occupied by people whose mouths were filled with more than one cigarettes,their lips brimmed with nothing but dimness which only meant to cringe Audrey the more.

There were people who stood at the center of the roads, their eyes followed each individual who passed by.

Audrey drew nearer to her sister who at the time seemed so relaxed and confident.

The loud beats within her heart was already becoming unbearable that for a moment she thought her heart had stopped.

There was a lady who seemed twice her sisters' age and who laid bare upon the grey-ish cemented floor of the road, the lady was a brunette, a Hispanic maybe;her clothes were torn and a knife stuck out her chest as nothing but Crimson-colored blood flowed down her shirt and unto the ground.

Audrey couldn't believe her eyes. It was as though the city was gradually coming to a destruction, a destruction far more painful than anyone would expect.

They approached the house where their mother stood outside panting, almost crying.

"There you two are" said Donna pressing their faces against her chest as their foots landed upon the door step. "Where have you two been, huh. You almost got me scared" she said once more, but this time she didn't hesitate to pull them into the house as she locked the door behind her.

"What's going on" said Audrey, her countenance puzzled. She wanted to know why the streets were so bare and quiet, why most people laid dead upon the plain ground, why the people suddenly began act crazy. The questions occupied her mind to the extent all she wanted to hear were the answers.

"Audrey.....The city isn't safe anymore" stammered Donna.

"Safe? What do you mean 'isn't safe anymore!" Abby exclaimed almost too promptly.

"I mean, no one is stepping out this house till further notice. I can't and won't risk anything happening to the both of you" said Donna once more, her eyes brimmed with tears as she stared at Audrey. "Where are the groceries".

"On the kitchen table" replied Abby in a tone seasoned with irritation.

"Good. Those will be our source of food for the next one month, till I'm able to get more"

"What!" exclaimed Abby once more. Donna and Audrey ignored her.

Audrey didn't know what to say. It was as though her world was beginning to crumble beneath her foot. She wanted to cry, simply because her mother was.

Everything she once enjoyed, once had were beginning to pail and decrease. Her heart ached, her sadness increased. Her sister still seemed to be lost in shock while her mother buried her time in selecting the groceries, sniffing her nose almost too promptly. Her world was coming to an end, and end so near that it made her soul restless.

Finally Audrey said, "Could I be excused to my room" and walked up the stairs wiping tears away from her eyes, and wondering if her life would ever remain the same.