Chapter 3

Previously:
Once I cleaned myself up I felt dizzy so I leaned onto the wall and slowly limped to my my mattress letting my eyelids close and darkness rolls over me.

Sophie's pov:
I wake up and quietly walk down the stairs but I didn't see Jeremy anywhere, he wasn't in the kitchen, in his bedroom or living room.
As I was about to get a cup of water somebody knocked on the door. It was a nice looking women who seemed to be a police officer and there was one more officer who looked quite grumpy. The nice police officer smiled "Can we come in sweetie." Even though I was scared I let them in, they sat on the sofa and said to me. "Your stepfather has died"

I was in shock, but I wasn't sad I was happy but is that bad that I wasn't sad. The only thing I could say to them was a quiet "okay". The kind woman told me to pack some stuff while they wait downstairs. I walked up the stairs hoping that they would see me limp. I slowly walked to my torn up mattress and sat there, one thing that went through my head was when Jeremy said ' you tell anyone or I will kill you' . I grabbed two shirts and some underwear and one pair of leggings and a pair of jeans. Slowly walking outside to the police car, I felt like something good will happen but I know I'm only fooling myself. "We're going to the station now" the officer said. The grumpy officer huffed and walked to the car getting in the driver seat. All the lady said to me was "follow me"

After about 20 minutes we finally got to the police station, they told me to sit down. After 2 minutes a man who looked unbothered came up to me. "We need to draw some blood for a DNA test. To see if there is anyone else you can stay with or it's foster care" he said bluntly. I wondered what foster care would be like but Jeremy always said that it's horrible and if I didn't obey him I will get sent there. I just nodded to let them know to do the test. They finally did it. The officer said it will take twenty minutes. I just sat there hoping that I won't be in care......

20 minutes later:
The DNA test has finally come back I'm just nervous that I don't have any family. The woman reads the paper and her face is filled with sympathy. "Sweetie you are going to have to go into care." I just nodded. She told me she will be back soon. I decided to run. As soon as her back was turned, I ran as fast as I could. Thankfully because of my height it was easy to run through everyone. I kept walking until I saw a park, where a bench was and laid down onto the bench hugging my bag to my chest. I am hoping the police won't find me. Even though it was freezing, I ended up falling asleep...

——————————————————-
David pov next