Chapter 1

Jack's POV

Fuck. I sit patiently In the waiting room of the local hospital, waiting for a doctor to tell me what's up. I've never been so nervous and heartbroken before. Yesterday, when I saw my Mom in that bed. Oh god that horrible sight. I shake my head and lean back in my chair hoping that thought will escape from my head, and stay out.

"Jack Gilinsky" One of the nurses walked in. "Son of Karen?" I nod my head and stand up to follow the nurse through the hospital. We walked for at least two minutes, going through what it seemed like every hallway. "She's in there, the doctor can explain." I give a slight fake smile without showing my teeth. "Thank you."

I walk in and my life flashed before my eyes. And I thought yesterday was bad. Seeing my mother helplessly laying there so skinny, unhealthy, her eyes fluttering open and shut. Why the fuck does this have to happen. No one understands. My own Mother is losing the never ending battle with this stupid sickness.

"So it's Jack right?" The doctor finally spoke after watching me examine every aspect of my Mother. I take a deep breath. "Yeah that's my name." The doctor sets the clip board down and smiles up at me. "You're Mother has been fighting this battle for quite a long time." My face stiffens and I tense up, "Yes I know that." "The cancer has been getting stronger and larger and I'm afraid we can't start any chemo or other treatment now." I bite my lip in frustration, "Why not?" "Jack she's too weak. We can't start anything until she gains some strength back-" I cut the doctor off, "-Yeah and? Start the chemo when she's getting better" I start to say in a douchebag attitude. "Jack I'm afraid Karen might not be able to get better"

I take another look at my Mom in grieve.

No. My mother will survive, she's a fighter, and she doesn't lose.

Olivia's POV

"Go behind the couch." he told me. I do not respond. "GO" I take a few steps backward. "YOU LITTLE BITCH GO" I turn and run as I duck behind the couch. I peeked my head around the side. The horror.

"MOM NO" I cried. "YOU MONSTER" I screeched. "WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO MY MOM?" I stood up from behind the couch. "You ugly slut I told you to hide" my step-father spat. "YOU'RE HURTING HER! QUIT IT" I heard another slap.

his eyes turned from the bruised and beaten body in his grasp to meet my horrified gaze. Never before had I seen such an animalistic look in his eyes, but that all changed that night when I saw him in a different light.

"YOU FUCKING PSYCHOPATH" I spat. He ran out of the house without anymore words. I stood up and fell right back down at the sight Infront of me. My mother was no longer breathing.

My eyes burst open as I heard the speaker, "Okay flight attendants, we will be landing shortly so please buckle up and wait patently as we reach Omaha." I sigh and buckle up.

New life, New me.

I keep having dreams and flashbacks of that horrifying night. The night that changed my life forever. I still can't comprehend that it happened, and I don't think I ever will fully understand why.

I'm moving in with my Mom's sister. She's always been like another Mother to me. But since the death, I haven't been so willing to talk to anyone. I used to live in New York, but since my aunt lives in Omaha I had to pack up my things from the big city and head down.

After the horror of the passing of my mom, I've never been the same. What do you expect though? My step- father murdered my Mother, right Infront of my eyes. I'm scarred. I've never actually talked since that day. To anyone, not even my best friend who I had to leave behind. She still doesn't know about it, or that I left. The only person I really have had a conversation with since then is my aunt, but it was just small talk over the phone. We were close before and now that I'll be living with her, I hope we can rebuild our relationship.

I get off the plane and walk through the long hallway back into the airport, hoping to see my Auntie waiting out there for me. "Olivia sweety!" I turned toward the right and saw my smiling aunt with her arms wide open expecting a hug. I go along with it. "Hey auntie Julia" she hugs me as tight as she possibly could and kisses my cheek. "Let's go grab your suitcases Liv"

We walk over to the where they were all placed and we started to look for mine. I take a deep breath. "So you excited for your first day of school at Omaha High tomorrow?" my aunt questioned along with a heartfelt smile.

This is going to be a long journey. I hope I can make it out alive.