Ch 3 Training with Itachi

CH 3

Naruto POV

After we put away the groceries Itachi bought for me I sat down on my bed and stared at him. I knew from the village gossip that he was only 6 years older than me, and that he was a prodigy. His raven hair was long and tied back in a ponytail with a plain white ribbon. I found it strange for a boy to wear a ribbon, but I live in a cave, so who am I to judge?

"Umm, you're staring." He said while looking away from me.

"Observing." I corrected.

"Can I sit?" He asked while gesturing at the chair tucked into my desk. I responded by nodding my head yes, and watched as he pulled the chair out and turned it so he was facing me.

"You're the first person that I've let in here." I commented.

"Why?" He questioned.

"Well for starters nobody knew I lived here, but even if they did I prefer my privacy. This is my space to feel safe. I figured if anyone came in here that feeling would be shattered, but it seems that's not the case." I answered.

"Well I'm glad I didn't ruin your safe feeling." He responded with a hint of bitterness and confusion lacing his voice.

"It's weird. Anyone else would have. Subject change, why did you show up today? Was it to plan the training sessions the Hokage ordered or just to question my sharingan?" I asked.

"If you want to subtly change the topic you're not supposed to announce it." He paused to laugh. "It was both. I figured you left out some of your training when I questioned you before, so I figured I'd ask when you're free, and where you're at." He answered.

"My subject change wasn't meant to be subtle, I was making it clear the topic was closed. I can train around your schedule. I need lots of work. I'm good with the element of surprise as you saw, but I definitely need to learn lots more before I get myself killed on a mission." I explained.

"If you know that your skills are not ANBU level then why would you demand a spot?" He asked with exasperation, clear in his body language.

"I need money. The things I want are expensive. It was also an opportunity I couldn't pass up. I was planning on waiting another year or two before demanding to join, but I'm tired of pretending with jiji. There's also the fact that had I waited longer I probably would have given him a heart attack." I answered while laughing.

"Well, we need to get you up to ANBU level then. We're going to train from morning till night every day that we aren't on missions." He answered.

"Right. Let's start tomorrow. I want to master the jutsu I borrowed from the shinobi library, and one I borrowed from my dad's library before we begin. I glanced at it, and the jutsu I took from my dad's library should speed up my training exponentially." I explained with excitement.

"You do realize that I'm going to work you into the ground right? You shouldn't be too excited about this. I also have a condition for training you, and keeping you alive on missions until you can do so yourself." He said in a serious tone.

"I can't say I'll agree to your condition until I hear it." I answered just as seriously.

"If you give up on training with me, or don't give your all, then you quit ANBU." He said, staring me down. I burst out laughing.

"You got it." I managed to get out between laughs.

"You do realize that I'm serious. You quit if you can't put in the needed effort." He repeated. I laughed harder.