Gone

Yeji's pov:

At some point I opened my eyes and seemed to be flying in a strange place, it looked like someone was carrying me and that's when I remembered everything that had happened.

Ryujin...

I saw Jeoseung's face and at some point, he smiled knowing that I saw him.

"You woke up... We're coming home already and Ryujin is waiting for you..." His words were soft and even though they tried to reassure me, I still couldn't feel calm without at least knowing that she was okay and out of danger.

At that moment he stopped and then, he let me stand up. I staggered a little and after that, I looked up at him and his eyes rolled back in his head as I heard him say some words that didn't seem to be in any damn language I had ever heard before.

A few seconds later, a black portal opened up in the middle of nowhere, to which I realized that I was floating in the middle of nowhere too.

"Where are we?" I asked quietly, looking around me, as the portal opened wider and wider.

"We're in limbo and in a few seconds, you'll be next to Ryujin..."

"You're the reaper who took care of her since she was baby?" I remembered what Jennie had told me and then he nodded.

"That's right... In the demon war, I found Ryujin and Yeonmi and I decided to raise her as one of us, even though she also had reaper blood..." I still didn't quite understand all this, but then nothing else mattered to me when the portal finished opening and I could feel Jeoseung's hand on my shoulder.

"Let's go..." He said to me with a smile. He shook my hand and we both entered that place. But the atmosphere was too thick. My breathing was starting to hitch and my heart was racing, all I wanted was to see her, to hold her.

Then a blinding light made us reach the room. To the place where Ryujin was on a bed and there was a woman with her face buried in the bed next to her, while sobbing.

"Yeonmi..." Jeoseung said and the woman quickly got up from the place, looked at me for a second and immediately ran to her husband to collapse in his arms, to sob harder.

But my gaze was right on her, Ryujin... Who seemed to be sleeping peacefully in that bed.

The portal behind us, closed.

"Ryujin..." What I saw, broke my whole being, that beautiful and radiant girl who filled my days, was already lying on the bed, totally pale and under her eyes, dark circles, it looked like she had been days in that suffering.

"It's too late..."

Said the woman in tears, while her husband hugged her and although tears began to come out of my eyes, I did not stop, I walked towards her and lifted the sheet that covered her from her waist to lie down next to her, as I always did.

I could still hear the voices and cries of that woman somewhere in the room, I could also hear how Jeoseung tried to hide his anguish, but I did not take my eyes off Ryujin, I ran my fingers across her pale and delicate face and caressed her.

After a few seconds everything seemed to stop and I could no longer hear those voices, the only thing I could hear was the beating of my heart.

"No... You can't be gone... I came here to save you, do you hear me?"

I put my face into her neck while my tears kept coming out and put my arm over her, to hug her so tight to my body, but her body was cold....

I could no longer feel the warmth that always made me sleep, I could no longer feel her heartbeat and her breath close to me, nothing I could no longer feel Ryujin.