Chapter Ten

Luke had woken up to a loud hiss. He'd drawn his pistol from the source of the hissing. Katsumi was hissing at the noise that was coming from his left.

"Cael!" He shouted.

Cael had woken up as he turned to his friend hissing.

"Sumi what's wrong?"
"Humans! I smell!"

Cael got up as Luke shook Remi up. Remi groaned as he opened his eyes sleepily.

"What huh?"
"Come on! We gotta go quick!"
"What's happening?"
"It's not safe here now," Cael spoke.

The man had lifted Katsumi and rushed him off to the boat. Setting the mermaid down in the boat, he ran back to his shelter and grabbed their supplies. Remi helped his cousin gather the rest. dumping everything into their improved boat and falling in. Luke hurriedly pushed the boat out into the sea before jumping in. Cael had started to roll as Luke joined him. A loud boom had started all of them. Before clutching himself to Cael, Katsumi hissed.

Nico had run out of the depths of the forest before their eyes met him. Remi grabbed Luke's arm before shaking him. Nico stared right at Remi with the most wicked smile he had.

"Um, guys! I think I know who it is!"
"Who!"
"Luke's old Captain!"
"Shit"

Shit was the last thing that had come out of Cael's mouth. Luke had stiffened, which Remi pushed away and assisted his cousin in rowing. Nico had whistled about how his old pals from Luke's crew were now his enemies.

"Pull the hatch."
"What?"
"Pull the Hatch!" Luke shouted.

Cael yanked on the hatch next to him. Which popped out a long, pole-like stick that had a cloth tied down to it. Luke pulled the ropes where the cloth went up, and it pushed the boat to sail faster. Remi held onto Cael as they all felt the boat wobble a bit.

"When did you do this?"
"When Remi had gone out to forage before we found you! Captain's old boats weren't just normal boats, they were specially made by me and Sutton"
"I just..wow"

Cael was in shock. Remi had let go of Cael as the balance of the boat became stable. Katsumi stayed close to Cael as he listened to the sounds of the wind and water. Luke glanced at Katsumi before he looked at Cael. He moved his finger up to his lip. Luke and Cael both waited until Remi and Katsumi had fallen asleep.

"Tell me.."
"I think sumi can help us. He has good hearing."
"I was gonna say that but how far can we trust him...I mean you did get pulled by mermaids"
"Yes, but he saved me. I won't let nothing happen to him."
"Alright"

That was the end of one conversation. Luke and Cael took turns being on guard. The morning sun had come to light as the night passed. This time it was Cael's turn to rest his eyes, along with Luke's. Katsumi had already gotten up when he saw Cael's bag eyes. After that, Remi woke up while Luke took the chance to sleep next. Katsumi had stripped off his clothes before he jumped right into the water. Remi was shocked before he saw that Katsumi was happily swimming. Remi watched the mermaid swim with glee. The morning sun had gotten warmer, and Cael had woken up from his sleep.

"Where's Sumi?"
"Water"

Cael had turned his head to see Katsumi swimming by the boat. Katsumi had jumped right back into the boat where it had waddled. He held Cael as he whimpered in pain as he regained control of his human legs. Remi had looked away as Katsumi got back into his outfit. Today's breakfast consisted of coconut meat and raw slimy fish for Katsumi. First, the duo was weirded out by the mermaid, but then they just shrugged it off. Noon was hitting and that's when Luke woke up.

It was early afternoon. No one was speaking to each other; rather, it was just a quiet, peaceful day. They were just listening to the water while everyone else went about their business. Cael was reading his journal when he noticed the sparkling, curious eyes coming from him and moved his book so Katsumi could see it as well. Remi was staring at the water while Luke was looking around, trying to figure out where they were. Throughout the whole day, everyone was just at peace, and they went to their beds as night came.
As the second morning hit, it was another day where everyone was quiet and minding their own business. Katsumi did his morning swim as Cael was writing his journal once more. Remi returned to staring at the water, while Luke continued to stare out the window. They ate, slept, and sat. It was repeated for all of the days. Swim, read, eat, and then sleep. Swim, read, eat, and then sleep. Over and over, it had become boring until one day...

"I can't take it anymore!" Remi shouted

They were all taken aback and looked at him. It was maybe the fourth week in or more, but Remi's annoyed face wasn't having it anymore, and he finally broke.

"All these days we haven't even talked to each other! I'm getting quite annoyed I bet these two lovebirds are just smooching off each other instead of reading. And you! I don't even know what you're doing!"
"What's smooching Cael?"
"Nothing.."

Remi gave everyone a stare before letting out just a heavy sigh.

"Please, just let me know where are we"
"Well, I deeply apologize that none of us haven't stung up a conversation. I guess ye insanity was going bizarre. But we have been heading north the whole time, I think there is a town coming"
"Town?" Cael questioned.

That had gotten Cael's attention, and Luke nodded. Remi sighed happily upon hearing the news. The cousins were finally getting a chance to get out of the water for a couple of days. But they needed to make sure which town they were going to head to. That caused some doubts. But they wouldn't know until they arrived...hopefully.