Chapter Eleven

It was the afternoon, and Cael noticed that splashes were being heard. Luke had looked up with alertness before looking around their area. Both became alerted when another was made, pulling out pistols. Katsumi lifted his hand before stripping naked and diving back into the water. With the loud flap that Katsumi had made, he had swamped around the boat.

Katsumi's POV

I swam around the area of the boat. I noticed that Cael and Luke were being alerted by noises. Just to make sure that if there was anything dangerous around us, I could handle it. I was still swimming around in my deep thoughts. bring on what Remi had said.

"These two lovebirds could be just smooching instead of reading!" Remi shouted.

What does "smooching" even mean? What does he mean by kissing? Because if he means kissing, then yeah. But I'd never do it in front of other people!It makes me shy, and I'm already shy when I do give Cael kisses. I sighed as I still swarmed around.
I sometimes wonder if Cael sees any of the signs of me wanting to learn more about human love. I want to experience what human love feels like. I thought kissing him would do anything good, but it seems he doesn't notice it! I bit my lip thinking about what Remi first said to me.
"Do you like my cousin?" Remi asked.

What does "like" mean? What does it mean to love? Because if it does, then yes! I do love your cousin, Remi. But it's hard to get any reaction! I need to figure out what else I can do to get reactions from him.

I heard the splashes, and I swam right toward them, where I was ready to attack. As I came up close, it was another of its kind. I tilted my head and swam up, tapping their shoulder. The female had turned their head before staring at me. It came to a conclusion that she was trying to find food, and she spotted the boat Cael and others were in.

"What are you doing here?"
"Are you trying to attack those humans inside the boat swimming above?" I dodged her question.
"And if I am?"
"Then I'm here to stop you then"
"Why are you?"
"They're my prey so stay away. I had found them first before you"

The female didn't like that one bit. She swam straight to the boat; I followed her and grabbed her by her arm. She hissed at me where I had pushed her away. I didn't want to harm my kind. I noticed she was quite irritated with me, but before she could strike, a shark struck her. I shrieked before I swam back to avoid the shark. Mermaids, sharks never attacked us! I was frightened when I saw a different kind of us. My eyes had gone wide as I trembled in fear; I knew what this beast was. They were sirekins. Sirekins were bad folks of our kind; they were evil! They cause harm to humans, resulting in the extinction of my species! Sirekins were also referred to as shark people or sirens... Human bodies covered in murky shark-like flesh and pitch-black human eyes. They have the minds to control the apex predators of our sea kingdoms, while we are like little prey to others.

There was no one worse to stand before this massive beast than the crown prince himself. Prince Merrik. Merrik had a bigger build than me. His muscles were ripped but lean, as he had a sculpted face. Merrik was also stronger than me and was supposed to be my bibto, which means lover in our language. I refused to be arranged to anyone; instead, I wanted to experience true love. The distaste that had come from the bitters of my tongue Merrik swam up to my face and grabbed my chin to look right into his face.

"What are you doing here rusai (Darling)" (Please excuse me; I prefer making my merfolk language, plus it's only for them and others. Still! I hope you enjoy it, and don't mind me making a new language for myself! Seems more fun, don't you think?)

I slapped his hand away from my face as I glared right at him before I spoke.

"It's none of your business yebaki (Bastard)"
"Well, it is my business rusai. You do know that your father has been looking for you?"
"He has? Well, I deeply apologize for scaring my mesai (papa) like that but I've been traveling."
"With who?"
"None of your business"

Merrik glared at him as he roughly grabbed my arm. I never liked him for one reason: he was rough and overzealous. If I told him that I would go out with my other friends who were guys, he would get all mad. I hated him for that, and I hated the fact that in his mind we were lovers! I pulled my arm away as I swam, yet he had to block my pathway.

"Who rusai?"
"Yebaki! It's none of your business! We're not together!"
"We are! Your father approved of it!"

I froze. That was done by my Mesai. It shattered my heart into a million pieces. My Mesai approved of it... I'm not even a prince, just a mere commoner! It feels like he just sold me! I can't cry now; I need to get back to my friends! I shook my head in disagreement, and I swam off. I couldn't look at him, and I dared not look back no matter what. As I reached the boat, I grabbed the back of it and pushed it to move faster. Hearing Merrick shout, I didn't want to look back as I continued to move forward. As I continued to push forward, I let out one tear. Cael had looked down to see that it was only me pushing the boat. I saw the relief before I saw the hand sticking out to me. I grabbed his hand, and he pulled me up. I got used to switching between human and mermaid forms. I had dampened his clothes because I was wet, but he didn't care where he gave me back my outfit. I put it back on as I hugged Cael.

Cael rubbed my back. I looked at him as he looked back at me. With no one looking, I pressed my lips against his. I was shocked, and he kissed me back. It made my heart race, but it also made my stomach churn with delight. I didn't know what it was, but I was happy. As our lips parted, I only stared into his blue eyes. Cael leans into my ear, where my checks turn bright red.

"Sumi...you doing this makes my mind go crazy...I don't know what you're doing to me" He whispered.

His voice felt so soothing to my ears. I closed my eyes as I whispered back.

"I want your love to burn for me just like I burn for you"
"It'll take a while"
"I'm okay with that Cael"

With that, it was sealed. I felt happy that he was willing to try, well, us. But I had to be patient! I had to be patient for us; our love can burn bright but slowly. and I'm okay with that. I smiled in glee as he chuckled. We had moved away from each other. and asked me what had taken me so long, and I lied to them. I can't tell them the truth, or it would cause more problems for them. I didn't want that for them. They don't deserve it at all. I just hoped that I was doing the right thing...