Spooning

Oswald laid in bed staring blankly at the wall. While there was nothing physically wrong with him he was in horrible pain. His chest felt like a can deep underwater with the pressure about to force it to crush in on itself. His hands were tense and at the verge of shaking. He turned his wide eyes to see the time on the clock. 2:26 AM. A long time till morning, a long time till light. He curled in on himself squeezing his eyes shut.

He was jerked out of his wallowing misery by the sound of shuffling feet. It must be Edward, he had had to crash at his place while on the run from the cops. He raised his eyes to see Ed’s towering shadowy figure move ghostlike across the room. He looked really quite beautiful even in the dark. He was also the reason Oswald was in so much pain.

After his mother had died he had promised himself he would never care about someone again. It only held you down and got you hurt in the end. He felt his eyes burn with tears and quickly shut them again before slamming back down in the bed with a dramatic sigh.

“Oswald? Are you awake?” Edward asked not even bothering to be quiet as he filled a glass with tap water.

Oswald debated answering. He wanted to talk to Edward. He wanted to talk to him badly but that would just lead to more pain. “...” He opened his mouth to speak but thought better of it and clamped it shut again.

“Did you know people with dissociative Identity disorder will experience gaps in memory of everyday events, personal information and trauma?” Edward blurted randomly from across the room, “Sorry. I was just thinking about it because he wouldn’t shut up. And um I can’t remember killing this man but he says he does. And he really seems to want me to know about it.”

Edward laughed nervously and Oswald couldn’t help himself. He cared about this man and he wanted to make him feel better about it. He wanted to comfort him. He wanted to love him. It was like a stab in the chest to realize he would never be loved back. That was a raw open wound and it hurt like hell.

“Is this the man that bullied you in school? The man you killed yesterday?” Oswald groaned groggily, “I’d listen to what he has to say. I’m sure it’s very satisfying to listen about the terror experienced by your former tormentor. I know I would like it.”

He watched as Ed just stood there holding the cup, he didn’t move, “Yes well, perhaps you’re right.”

“Of course I am.” He said before feeling Edward sit on the bed next to him.

Oswald’s every movement stilled as Edward sat there. He was way too aware of the way his leg was touching Edward’s albeit through the comforter. The city lights sneaking in through the window illuminated the silhouette of his face. He wanted nothing more than for him to lay down next to him and wrap him in his arms. Of course that wouldn’t happen but that wouldn’t get the thought out of his head. He watched Edward’s silhouette turn to look down at him and his lungs stopped working. Oswald’s brain was rapid firing through every possibility of why Edward was looking at him. He could not allow himself to believe that it was because… he liked him? No. No one liked him and he wouldn't get his hopes up to have them dashed again. It hurt too bad.

“Oswald. Which one of me is better? Do you like one better than the other?” Edward said out of nowhere.

It caught Oswald completely off guard and he had no idea how to answer that question. Well he did… but he wasn’t going to give him the answer he was thinking of. Well I find the cute Ed side quite endearing. But I can hardly choose it over your alluring confident side. Yeah, he wasn’t going to say that.

“They’re both fine, Edward. However I do think that your Riddler persona is better at doing what needs to be done.” He replied sleepily, moving his leg simply to feel it rub against Ed’s.

He watched Edward’s head bob up and down in a nod. They sat like that in silence staring at their barely visible faces until Edward started talking about some sciencey thing that Oswald didn’t understand whatsoever. Edward seemed really happy to talk about it though and it was kind of relaxing. After a while of that Oswald was starting to drift off and was in and out of the dreamworld, so when he felt Edward lay down beside him he wasn’t quite sure if it was a dream or not.

Later Oswald woke up to the sun streaming through the window. He had to blink a few times to orient himself before realizing Edward was right behind him. His whole face turned red and he could have sworn his heart was beating loud enough for someone else to hear. Not only that but Ed’s arm was draped over his back and resting in front of Oswald’s face. Edward’s body was so much taller it was like he was practically being swallowed. He didn’t move a muscle in fear of waking Edward up because he wanted to see Ed’s reaction to it even though it would probably disappoint him.

He felt Ed shift slightly and then freeze up. Oswald held his breath in euphoric anticipation and turned his head slightly to see his facial expression. His eyes were wide and confused, once he noticed Oswald watching a blush spread quickly across his face. Oswald couldn’t help smiling even though he tried very hard to contain it.

“Ah…” Edward mumbled pulling himself off the bed quickly, “Sorry I must have clonked out after telling you about neuroscience!”

Edward was standing in front of the bed clasping his hands in front of him and ducking his head ashamedly. He looked like a child who had done something stupid and was apologizing. Oswald smiled trying to tell him it was okay, “Don’t worry about it Ed.”

Oswald wanted to say more but he didn’t think it would be proper so he just kept smiling like an infatuated idiot. Edward however looked mortified and that hurt Oswald. He didn’t know why, it wasn’t like he was expecting mutual affection. He knew his mother was the last person on earth who could have loved him and she was gone now. Edward’s face turned to concern as Oswald’s dropped into a melancholy expression.

“Oswald,” Edward said leaning down, “You okay?”

No he was absolutely not okay. Seeing Edward in the light was much worse than seeing him in the night. His hair was all over the place and the fact that he was wearing fuzzy pajama pants along with a white t-shirt was just adorable. “Yeah I’m fine,” He said waving his hand, “Just tired is all.”

Edward nodded and grinned back at him. His grin… and that’s when Oswald decided he needed to leave the apartment because he'd have better luck with the cops.