What Could've Been

Author's note~

Part of this one-shot was inspired by that one Euphoria episode where Jules was talking to her therapist. But most of it was also inspired by myself. I'm not sure, but I think I fell in love with someone. Sadly it's too late, because when he wanted to love me, I pushed him away. Aside from my constant self-sabotage tendencies and fear of heartbreak, I wonder if I miss him or if I miss the love he felt for me. I've made peace with the fact that another girl has his heart now, but now I wonder if I can forgive myself for ruining...what could've been. Maybe that is the final step to moving on.

Since the main characters were 19 during the "blank period" (time skip era) and I am also 19, I thought it would be perfect to set the story during this time period so I could feel more connected to them. This one-shot is mainly a reflection of my own life, so I'm sorry if you don't relate. But if you do, I hope you can find some comfort in this story. ily.

~

Sasuke fiddled with his fingers as he silently sat across Kakashi in the Hokage's office.

The nerve of this guy, Kakashi thought. He crossed his arms and watched as the mysteriously silent 19-year-old avoided his gaze.

About five minutes ago, Sasuke had bypassed all of the Hokage security, entered the office (without knocking), and sat across from Kakashi. All without a word. They had been sitting in silence for the past five minutes after that.

Kakashi eyed the clock and cleared his throat. As great as it is to see his troublesome former student, he also has a mountain of papers on his desk that need filing, and he was hoping to get them done in time for happy hour with Gai.

"Well hello there to you too, Sasuke. You know, a formal greeting to your Hokage would be nice, but oh, spare me formalities."

Sasuke continued to fiddle with his fingers. Unable to meet Kakashi's eyes, he instead fixates his gaze on the picture of Team 7 on Kakashi's desk. How young and innocent they were.

Kakashi resists the urge to roll his eyes and clears his throat again.

"You know, Sasuke, when you sent that letter saying you wanted to talk after being gone for two years, this wasn't exactly how I pictured it happening."

Sasuke continued staring at the picture on Kakashi's desk. "Hn," was his only response.

Kakashi narrowed his eyes and flipped the picture frame down, finally snapping Sasuke's trance and meeting his gaze. Happy hour is coming soon damn it, and he was not going to let this emo brat waste any more of his time.

"Cut the bullshit, Sasuke. Tell me what you wanted to talk about. Is it intel on an enemy?"

Sasuke slowly shook his head.

"Is the village going to be in danger?"

He shook his head again.

"So what, you just wanted to talk?"

Sasuke stayed still for a moment, before finally deciding to slowly nod.

Kakashi raised a brow. It was funny at first, but he was starting to get tired of playing charades.

He stands up from his seat. "Well, sorry if you are mistaken, but I am Hokage now. Which means I am far too busy to be playing therapist right no—"

"I think I am in love with Naruto Uzumaki."

"...Oh." Kakashi slowly sits back down. "Well, this is way more interesting."