The Beginning of a New Life

Agatha and Tedros were shocked to hear of a letter sent to them, from Calmaria. "He can't even keep control of his own household members," mumbled Tedros. Agatha was worried about that letter of Sophie's. What if her friend got in trouble with that?

Rafal was asking Sophie about her life at school, and at the village. She answered them. However, she noticed he was rather silent about his own life.

"How was your relationship with your brother? Why did you kill him? Are you even sorry?" Rafal didn't answer for a bit. Finally, "We used to be close.. But of course power can't be shared. And honestly, I don't know if I'm quite happy about what I did or not."

"How is life in the castle? You must have everything you want.. And the castle seems so pretty. To think, I'll live here soon."

"Life is okay. When I'm not surrounded by obnoxious people trying to move their way in court." Sophie rolled her eyes. "Well, please keep them away from me. I don't have the patience for that."

"Don't worry, I will. In fact, you will choose your own entourage and court. But please choose people you trust, not those you like. When you choose friends, oftentimes you have to end up sending them for execution. For treason."

Sophie thought for a moment. "Well, Aggie can't help me here because she's queen of her own kingdom. Hester or Anadil wouldn't want to be here. Dot, I don't think so. Hort or Nicola would probably stay as they are."

Rafal grinned at her. "You can ask my sisters."

"Absolutely not. I wonder why you spared them, but not your own twin." Rafal shrugged. "They're just a bit eccentric, that's all. Like I said, I find them entertaining. Except when they prattle on and on about the One True King nonsense."

Sophie's eyes widened. "So that's a real thing? They were talking about it at the wedding."

"It's a stupid myth that I don't waste time believing. I put faith in the Storian, despite the fact it seems to hate me--"

A woman entered the room. It was Lady Leonora Lesso. She didn't look very happy.

"Oh, I forgot to say: she's going to be one of the main advisors for you, Sophie. I am not too fond of her, personally, but I trust her to help you. She was your former teacher and Dean, was she not?"

"Will she be like my own Lady Gremlaine?"

Lady Lesso briefy cut in. "I don't think  it appropriate for you two to be alone. Besides, Sophie has classes tomorrow, and she needs her strength to teach them." Rafal rolled his eyes. "Of course. I'll see her home."

Sophie expected to ride the stymph again. Something she wasn't happy about. She was shocked when Rafal offered to fly her back to the school.

"What if I fall?"

"You won't. I promise."

She didn't fall at all, and she felt really happy

The next day, the other teachers were pestering Sophie with questions, which she didn't feel like answering. She thought of writing to Agatha, but decided to let her enjoy her honeymoon. Besides, she wanted to think.

The king wasn't that bad. He seemed to care for her. But did she care about him? She instantly remembered the Great War, but also what Armand said-- it was a complicated matter.

She would ask him what he knew about it, even though she despised  him.

Armand was surprised to see Sophie approach him during one of her visits to the castle. "What happened exactly during the war?"