Chapter Five: Stuck?

Are you having a hard time thinking of what to do next in your story? Do you want a simple way to length it without going straight to the end? Here are a few tips and tricks I have used in my past story to give my books volume:

-Embarrass your protagonist. Make them seem weak or vulnerable in some way to add tension. You can sift the solution in slowly or find an easy way to fix it. Either way, you'll have added a bit more depth!

-A sudden death or gunshot can take the readers by surprise, and it is so much more effective when you use the card at the end of a chapter, leaving somewhat of a cliffhanger.

-In relation or in a completely strange new occurrence, write that someone gets kidnapped. While it's a very rough and horrible topic, it gives tension and an interesting turn for the viewers. It's even better when it is made out to be a kidnapping but is something else entirely!

-Have one of your side characters disappear for an unknown reason. This will leave your readers wondering, as well as cause extra obstacles for your protagonist, thus thickening your story!

-Some romantic disaster or awkward moment. Say that someone accidently kisses the wrong person in a daze, or even reveals feelings that had been concealed forever. While sometimes people think romance shouldn't be in every book, you'd be surprised by how the element of love is fitted into almost every story in existence.

-If this story involves parents, make them argue at some point. No relationship is perfect, and it will make the story more realistic. Heck, you could push the threat of divorce even if you know it'll never happen! Something as simple as that can make the reader anxious.