Chapter Six: Plot Twists!

Plot twists are the best climax in the story, giving surprise and suspense in a very convincing way. However, plot twists can be hard to think of... here are a few to help start your train of thought!

-The main character(s) find out or someone reveals to them that the thing they had been searching/working for doesn't exist.

-An object that has only been loosely mentioned turns out to be a very important item to somebody, only for them to find it destroyed.

-An object that has only been loosely mentioned that has been known to be important to a character has a secret written code that they only now understand and are able to figure out.

-A side character is revealed to have a backstory that no one knew about except for the person that hates their guts.

-A side character is revealed to have a traumatising backstory that they had been easily concealing for years.

-An important / side character is revealed to have a hidden true personality that only shines through after the beginning of the climax.

-The main villain in the story turns out to not be the overwhelming threat.

-A situation arises where the hero has to (if only temporarily) side with a minor or overarching villain.

-A strange and flirtatious relationship starts to blossom with a duo that is surprising.

-When the protagonist finally has the opportunity to enact revenge, they find that it will come at a horrible cost.

-An antagonist unexpectedly helps the hero in a way that makes everyone wonder that their true intention is.

-A character is revealed to know something they shouldn't. *Bonus if they are naive and have known the whole time.

-A character's dark past finally catches up to them, a past that has never been discussed properly for the reader (only in very subtle hints), so it surprises them.