Chapter 9

They are coming.

With supernatural strength.

While some enemies are obvious,

some are not.

Watch out for those closest.

As you are a target for those who are the nearest.

I'm coming...

We're coming for you...

Beware..

(Couple days ago, before the celebration)

//Patrick's POV//

I hear him. He's nearby. His hand on my shoulder started to grow, growing until the fingers are long enough to reach my waist. "Let- g-" I wasn't able to finish my sentence because he aggressively stuck his fingers in my chest. "Uhh..." and pulled my heart out.  He deliberately, slowly pulled his hand to let the pain last long. I felt my chest. Of course, it wasn't beating.

Naeus swooped like a vulture and suddenly came very close, I could see his purple and red eyes. He had the darkest smile on him.

 "What do you want from me?" I don't know. I didn't want him to haunt me even in my dreams. I tried to pinch myself to free myself from his dream realm. But my arms aren't moving. There was no heart to carry blood vessels to. "What do.. you want?"

He cackled a laugh. "Observe, Grandmaster." he held out my heart which was a shade of gray now. "This is what will happen. A process so precise you can't even deny it." he snapped his fingers and signaled Brots to join. His son, Skorch, carried the dead body of Azura. 

 "Wh- what did you do to her!"

Brots cackled out an evil laugh. Then he squeezed my heart, red blood oozing out of it. "Azura.. AZURA!!"

I heard one last line. "This isn't a dream. You will fail to protect her. You can't even protect your father." bringing up my father just made my mind go blank. They laughed and repeated the poem again.. and again.. "I've seen you run away, Grandmaster. Let your people die for your own life. Such a shame, really."

Skorch threw Azura's lifeless body to my lap. I gasped and my breathing stopped. She wriggled, fangs and tusks in extreme angles grew out of her mouth. She bit the back of my neck with it.

 "This isn't a dream.. I'm coming.. We're coming.. Beware.." 

Skorch's dialogue got me hard. He whispered it so quietly so only I could hear him. "You.." he paused, "You are nothing, NOTHING but a priceless.. coward." The last word coward echoed in my ears, in my mind. Azura's venom and the pain in my neck froze me, spreading quickly and paralyzing me. 

I shouldn't had looked down at her.

"Patrick..

Patrick..

PATRICK!!"

Azura, who was startled and woke up, called out my name a million times before I snapped out of.. whatever nightmare it was. "You scared the wits out of me! Are you- Are you okay? God, you're burning!" she turned on the lamp on the bedside table. She felt my forehead. I just sat there, with cold sweat running down my back. "I'm going to get you a glass of water, Patty. Stay here." she used my new nickname which is a bit funny.

I touched my neck to see if there were any bite marks. Nothing. "Coward.." I whispered to myself. The word filled me with fear. "Am I...?"

 "Excuse me?" Azura came back with the water. She placed the glass on the table. She hopped back on our bed, then wrapped her arms around my waist. "Hey.. What's wrong, Az? Did I.. Did I scare you?"