4: Burano

The small island of Burano was about a forty minute boat ride across the water. As soon as the island came into view, Vanessa was instantly surrounded by a parade of boldly coloured houses. A smile lit up her face as she marveled at the quaint homes, each painted one or two bright shades, as if out of a children's storybook.

The line of houses along the waterfront were identical to one another but they were painted wildly different shades, from emerald greens to pastel blues to bold magenta and sunshine yellows. It was remarkable.

After docking the motorboat and helping Vanessa out, Marco bounded up the stairs and on to the sidewalk. He automatically claimed Vanessa's hand as he began his guided tour of Burano.

Vanessa learned that the primary industry there used to be fishing and farming until tourism took over. Ever since then, the production and export of intricate lace products became the island's primary industry. In addition to that, locals made their livelihoods through souvenir shops and restaurants catered to travelers.

The island was absolutely charming and filled with happy children weaving in and out on their bicycles, chasing one another. Wrinkled, gap toothed fisherman displayed their morning catches on their boats and huddles of white haired women wove lace pillows together in the square.

Marco took Vanessa to see one of the biggest lace shops in Burano. She was awestruck at the level of detail and craftsmanship she witnessed there. "This lady here made all these by hand?" Vanessa marveled.

The red haired old woman nodded, showing Vanessa the piece she was currently on. It was a lovely depiction of a mother cradling her baby.

Marco later explained that she was 96 years old and still made fine lace on a daily basis without wearing any glasses. Sadly, the younger generations were all flying the coop and looking for better opportunities elsewhere, which meant that in another decade or so lace-weaving would become a lost art.

Vanessa pouted at the thought of the world missing out on this lace craft in the future. She ran her fingers across the delicate bookmarks, tablecloths and doilies arranged on the table. Woven images ranged from graceful peacocks to Venetian masks to gondoliers and religious icons such as Mary and Jesus on the cross.

Near the back of the store, Vanessa discovered a few impossibly complex handmade lace wedding dresses on mannequins. Her heart broke both at the beauty of the handiwork and at the remembrance of the fact that she was supposed to be going on her honeymoon to Egypt today.

She decided to purchase a lace mask the size of her palm for Lexi. The souvenir would do little to ease Lexi's worries and anger over her unexplained disappearance...but it was better than nothing.

"For my sister," Vanessa explained to Marco as she handed the money over to the cashier.

"How old your sister?"

"She is nineteen. She works at the same place as me. We are very close...But I didn't tell her I was coming to Venice. I didn't tell anyone. I just bought a ticket and came the next day."

"She will be angry, no?"

"Oh yes. Lexi will be furious."

"But she will forgive you because you are family," Marco assured her.

Next, he led Vanessa to Trattoria da Romano, famous for making the best fish risotto dishes in the world. It was a lime green building with dark forest green canopies covering the entrance. Once seated cozily by the window, Vanessa flipped through the menu and decided to try the grilled sea bass. Marco went for mussels and the 'Risotto Romano', which he insisted Vanessa had to try.

"Best risotto you will find anywhere," he beamed when the impeccably dressed server laid our dishes in front of us.

Marco eagerly spooned up some of the creamy risotto and gently blew on it before feeding it to Vanessa.

Vanessa closed her eyes and savoured the richness and complex flavours of the simple dish. Yes, it was definitely a treat. "It's delicious! Even better than the risotto I had last night!"

"This restaurant famous! Everybody know it." Marco laughed as he sipped some of his wine.

Vanessa dug into her sea bass and relished in the freshness and tenderness of the meat. The seasoning was incredibly simple and it was paired with some potatoes and lemons on the side.

As the two began chatting about Vanessa's high school years, it began to rain out of nowhere. The dry cobblestone courtyards were almost instantly flooded with torrential downpour. Vanessa grimaced. "It's raining. Really hard. Is that normal?"

"Oh it happens all ze time," Marco laughs, "we are on the sea and the sea is always changing her mind. One minute sunny, next minute rain. We live with it."

"How will we get back in this weather?"

"Don't worry. Rain will stop soon, then we can go."

But the rain didn't stop. At least not soon anyway. As the last of the light began fading into the horizon, Vanessa and Marco scurried from one building to the next, keen on staying dry. "We can't keep running around like scared rats," Vanessa yelled over the sound of the rain.

"What should we do? I don't want to drive you back when the water is so bad. The boat might fall over!" Marco clutched his umbrella handle tightly, fat water droplets rolling down his knuckles.

"Is there somewhere to stay here? Just for the night? It's getting dark and we can't drive in the dark anyway, especially in this weather. It's too dangerous."

Part 2 coming right up!

***Hope you enjoyed this cute little chapter. How do you like Marco so far? If so, don't forget to leave a vote and tell your friends! :) Help me win a Watty! Thanks, Chesmok***