III

NO POV

"Is this Imani?" Ben asked immediately, after Imani said Hello.

"Yes this is she. Who-"

"It's Ben. I'm sorry to cut you off I just want to talk to you again, properly." Imani's eyes lit up as she sat up on the couch. "Earlier was totally uncalled for. I was in shock but that wasn't your fault, so I apologize for that."

"It's okay I don't know why I thought we'd jump in each others arms." Imani said laughing and Ben joined in along with her.

"I'd love to make it up to you and take you out to lunch tomorrow."

"Oh that's okay you don't hav-"

"I want to, please let me. I believe you are my daughter your mother would never lie to me about anything like this." There was silence on the phone for a few seconds.

"How's 12:30?" Imani asked.

"Perfect I'll send the address at 10, I have the perfect brunch spot." You could hear his smile through the phone and Imani's was just as big.

"Okay. Goodnight Benjamin."

"Goodnight Imani." They both hung up the phone and let out a sigh.

Imani's POV

"Babe!" Keith was in the kitchen getting our Coldstone out of the freezer.

"Yes!"

"You'll never guess who I just got off the phone with." He came around the wall with spoons in one hand, one ice cream in the other, and one under his arm.

"Who? Here you go." He took a seat and took the cap off of his.

"Benjamin." She said doing the same. "Mm this looks so good."

"He did, what did he want?"

Imani was eating a spoonful of ice cream so she didn't answer immediately. Keith laughed and took a napkin wiping her lip.

"He wants to get lunch tomorrow and he apologized for how he responded."

"Oh that's great! Awe babe." He kissed my forehead and went back to eating his ice cream. She looked over at the time, it was 10:29 pm.

"Once we're done you wanna go to bed? I know it's your first day at the station tomorrow."

"I go in at 12 I'll be fine. Plus I want some more dessert." He said looking into my eyes.

NEXT DAY

"Imani!! Hurry up I don't want to be late." It was 11:15 and I was trying to figure out where my rain boots were. I know, I know it's Seattle but I'm from Baltimore I'm not used to all this damn rain. 

"Keith we have 45 minutes to get there and we live 25 minutes away with traffic. Calm your ass down, I just need to find my boots."

"They in here by the door." He said coming into the room.

"I'm sorry babe, it's just I'm nervous. I don't think I'm going to fit in here. I'm a rookie. Plus I don't look like I belong in Seattle." Keith was 6'2 ,darkskin, with pretty white teeth, locs, and a nose ring.

"You'll be fine baby. You'll be better then fine I promise." I said as I walked over fixing his clothes and puckering my lips. He kissed them and pulled me in for a hug.

I let him go and went to get my shoes, grabbed my purse, and keys. He took the keys out of my hands and opened the door.

He put the directions in and they popped up on Apple Carplay. He selected his music since he was driving and played PARTYNEXTDOOR's Was Good.