Chapter Ten. Bad Idea

Year E3029

Year E3029

Ocea

They said when life gave you sunhovers. You follow the light. And if the monster in the river was close. They would not be near. My foot slid to a stop at the edge of the cliff. I glanced at the water as a rock fell off, rippling into the still liquid.

"No, Ocea," Thomas said while shaking his head. "This is a bad idea."

I could hear the stiffs closing in on their distance. "I don't think we have a choice."

"But—" Thomas said as a man in a black suit with yellow hair popped out of the lorna plants.

"Put your hands up slowly," the man said with a gun pointed at us.

The city lights brightened the sky as pink floated behind the safforian. The warm wind picked up, blowing around the lornas and making them whistle a tune.

My hands were in the air with my back toward the cliffside. I stepped back. "Bad ideas sometimes lead to incredible moments," I whispered to Thomas, causing him to glance over just in time for me to jump backward off the cliffside.

Thomas didn't hesitate as he leaped from the edge with me. The water hit my rear, twirling me around before I swam to the surface. When I broke the water, I glanced at the man pointing his gun at me, but he didn't shoot. He shook his head, reaming it, but I knew our distance would make it impossible for him to hit me. The safforian pointed the gun away and then ran toward the lorna plants.

"Thomas," I said with a mouth full of water.

He wasn't near me. There was no sight of any movement under the water. Where was Thomas? My hair was sticking to my face as I brushed it off my eyes. Water splashed into my mouth, swallowing it because an alarm went off in my head.

"Thomas." Panic in my voice as I swam in a circle, not seeing him.

"Thomas!" I yelled.

I inhaled a deep breath, diving into the dark water. Everything in the liquid was green, camouflaging anything swimming around me. It was too dark to see anything, making my judgment a risk.

I held my hand close to my face, letting my ball of fire light up the green into a dark blue. Fire of navy was the wrong color for a purple safforian. My fire reflected the color of my dad's eyes.

With the water lit up, I spotted Thomas at the bottom of the river. He was floating with no movement. I quickly swam up to him, seeing his eyes were closed while his body moved to the rhythm of the water.

Quickly, I grabbed his shoulder with my free hand, prompting him to open his eyes. He was keeping calm, trying to hold his breath. Thomas glanced at my blue fire, then pointed down at his feet.

My breath was uneasy as I lowered myself to see a vine had his foot. I touched the stem with my fire. The plant tightened around his foot. My palm tugged at his ankle, trying to get him out of his shoes, but there was zero resistance.