Chapter 3 - Male Lead 3, Giving You an Opportunity

The call was from Cen Ning, the assistant at the third male lead's side.

"Assistant Cen." Duan Shu Tong responded politely.

Cen Ning, who thought that he would hear Duan Shu Tong's dissatisfied rant, was confused.

Duan Shu Tong was about to be sent away to the borderlands. Wasn't he angry?

Cen Ning was after all a person who has weathered many storms, so with a smile, he said, "Just now President Xi received a call from Chairman Duan. He said that tomorrow Young Master Duan would be riding with us. Right now, President Xi is in a meeting and can't personally give you a call, so he wanted me to ask you, when are we leaving tomorrow? Where should we go to pick you up?"

When he turned eighteen, Duan Shu Tong moved out of the Duan family mansion to live in his own house*, but he had a lot of houses under his name. Today he'll live here; tomorrow he'll live there. Really don't know which house he was going to live in tonight.

[*T/N: The Chinese word is a bit ambiguous. It could also mean an apartment or a condo. Or even a single room, although that's doubtful for the original DST.]

Cen Ning spoke pleasant words, but Duan Shu Tong knew the truth. Xi Duan* simply would not bother to communicate with Duan Shu Tong personally. As for inquiring about these details, there was a ninety percent chance that it was Cen Ning who came up with the idea. How could Xi Duan care about such trivial matters?"

[*T/N: His name might be the same pinyin as DST's surname, but the character, tone, and meaning are different.]

Said it was a family friend, but in fact, Duan Shu Tong had never spoken to this legendary deity.

"We'll leave according to your schedule. Just pick me up at the Duan family house." He was an idler, so there was no need to waste other people's time.

Cen Ning's smiling expression became even more concentrated. "Seven o' clock in the morning, is that okay?" Duan Shu Tong wasn't such an insensible person after all.

"Okay." Duan Shu Tong paused. "I want to trouble you with something."

"Say it."

With a heart full of good intention, Duan Shu Tong asked, "Does Uncle Xi like Miss Pei?"

Cen Ning: ???

Young Master Duan had a tussle with Young Master Li, and now he wants to do battle with President Xi?

[T/N: The word battle was in English in the raws. XD]

No matter how shocked he was on the inside, he had to remain tranquil and calm as a spring breeze on the outside. "Why does Young Master Duan ask this?"

Duan Shu Tong wanted to withdraw from this love chasing game, so he took the opening that Cen Ning gave him and said, "Aren't I going to be stationed in the borderlands now? Miss Pei won't have a good life following me. I can't bear for her to suffer, and today my dad admonished me, so I've thought it through, I want to let go of her and pursue a career."

Cen Ning: ...

He held the cell phone and looked at his boss with a raised eyebrow. The phone was on speaker, and Xi Duan heard everything clearly.

The President Xi who was said to be in a meeting was actually just reading documents.

Actually, he was not very willing to travel together with strangers, but the Duan family and Xi family went way back, plus they cooperated together in business, so their relationship was pretty good.

Since Duan Sheng Ye was the one to ask, he could not ignore the request. Besides, it was a small matter to help out with.

Seeing Cen Ning's awkward expression, Xi Duan wrote a few words on a blank sheet of paper to signal to him.

Cen Ning immediately regained his senses: "Young Master Duan, you just said you wanted to trouble me with something. What is it?"

The youth's clear voice came through the speaker phone, somewhat distorted: "Miss Pei fainted. She is in the hospital now. If Uncle Xi has time, how about going to see her at the hospital?"

He presented the opportunity. Now it depended on whether the third male lead took it or not.

Xi Duan: ...

Cen Ning's heart thumped. "Why didn't Young Master Duan go look for Young Master Li?" As soon as he finished asking, he couldn't help but want ot punch himself in the mouth. Young Master Duan and Young Master Li were not in a good relationship.

But who knew that Duan Shu Tong would reply seriously: "Why should I look for him? He has a fiancée. Look for him so he can cheat?"

Cen Ning: Young Master Duan, when did you have such a sense of morals?

"Okay, I will tell President Xi about this." He couldn't even laugh. "Young Master Duan, see you tomorrow morning."

After hanging up the phone, Cen Ning looked at his boss, waiting for his instructions.

Xi Duan tapped his pen against his forehead and thought for a while. "You go find time to take a look at the hospital. I'm not going."

Cen Ning: ...

He knew it! This project has fallen to him. He didn't even have a girlfriend yet, but he still had to help his boss chase the girl.

He didn't know what his boss was planning either. Could it be for the sake of getting rid of this honorary title of "emotionless robot?!"